Chapter 24 All Normal

I dropped my things on the bed and went to take a shower. I felt better then I had in weeks. I went back in my room and  sat on the bed.
I listened to music while I drew in my scratch book. I wasn't a good artist but I still liked to draw anyway. I knew I should be working on the project but I didn't want to think about vampires or go down stairs. Angelov said I would be able to handle being around them but what if I couldn't handle it?

What if I hurt them? I couldn't live with that. For a moment I thought about leaving and going to Amy's. That wouldn't work either. Because I could hurt her parents too. That would be just as bad as hurting mine.

I tossed the scratch book and pen on the bed in front of my knee.

"I can do this. I can handle it." I could hear the tone I used and it made me want to cringe.  "Angelov wouldn't have sent me home if he thought I would hurt anyone." I licked my lips.

"I can do this." I said trying to convince myself. I pushed myself to my feet. "I can do this."

Mom stood in the kitchen making a salad to go with dinner. I could smell the casserole she had put in the oven. I guess I had good timing.

I walked fully into the kitchen. My heart raced a little fast. Under the scent of food cooking in the oven I could smell my mom. She had a citrus-y smell mixed with something earthy. I could hear her heart beating a study taboo. I waited for the feeling I had experienced at Angelov's and when Eric had stopped by. It didn't happen.

My teeth didn't hurt. My heart started to calm down. My stomach still felt like it had a few stones sitting at the bottom of it but it wasn't as bad as I expected. I took a deep breath through my mouth.

"Hi, mom." I smiled when she lifted her head to look at me. She smiled a welcome.

"Stephanie, will you set the table? Dad got a work call he had to take." She pulled the Roman lettuce leaf apart and dropped it in the bowl.

"Sure mom. Are you making chicken parmesan?" I said while walking to get the plates down from the cabinet.

"I am. It should be done in an hour. Do you want anything other than salad?"

"Um... Not really. But may I have a sods?" I asked while pulling cutlery from the drawer.

"Only one, then you can drink tea or water. You need to watch what you drink."

I suppressed a laugh.

She sighed. "You're just like your father with the sodas and cupcakes."

I carried the stuff I needed to the table. I setup three places and went back to help her. "Anything else mom?"

"No. I can finish the rest on my own."

"I'll be in my room."

I was amazed how well it went. I hadn't even thought about hurting her in any way.

Except my stomach I felt normal. How was that possible? I went to my room and dug my phone out of my bag. I quickly pulled up the call logs and pressed Amy's number.

"Hello?" Mrs. Green answered. I pulled the phone from my ear and looked at the number I called.

"Sorry, Mrs. Green. I was trying to call Amy."

"Stephanie." She said sounding releived. "Amy said you had the flu that's going around. She insisted she'll be back to normal soon but she's been in the bathroom vomiting for the past half hour. Did your parents take you to the doctor?"

"No ma'am. But we got some herbal tea that seems to help a lot. Amy has some of it."

"Tea? That must be what she was talking about. Do you know where she put it?"