Chapter 56 The Future

I had been for a run, human speed, around the neighborhood. My shadow hadn't been far behind. He didn't try to "vanish" but I didn't mind. After my run I spent over an hour in the thing my mom called a garden. That thing had more weeds than flowers or plants. Yes, I know weeds are technically plants but they don't count.

The only thing, other than weeds, that grew was climbing peas, cucumbers, kale, and a bell pepper plant that was failing to thrive.

I ran downstairs after my long shower.

The smell of garlic, eggplant, tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, and spices had scented the air for the past ten minutes. I had smelled it even over the scent of water, soap, shampoo and conditioner.

How human food could make my mouth water and still have almost no nutritional value confused me. In the long run it doesn't matter but it was a curiosity.

Dad was tossing a salad at the counter when I entered the kitchen.

"Smells good, dad." I took a deep breath of scented air.

"Hope so. It took me a half hour to slice all the veggies." He lifted his head to look at me. "Isn't it odd you being a vegetarian and a vampire?" He quirked an eyebrow.

I shrugged. "Don't know. I was vegetarian before I knew I was a vampire. Besides," I slid into the barstool, "I don't get enough nutrition to justify the death of any cute little animal anyway." I reached out and took a slice of cucumber. It crunched as I chewed.

He paused. "I still don't understand that."

"Me either. We can't live on blood alone but we can't just live on human food. Eating helps keep our bodies working so it can process blood. Not really sure how." I shrugged and took another cucumber slice. I popped the whole slice into my mouth.

"Where's mom?" I asked curiously. I crunched the cucumber between my teeth.

"She went to the store. The milk is low and we're out of raspberry vinaigrette." He sat the large fork and spoon aside and closed the bowl with a red plastic lid. He walked to the fridge.

"Well, I'll set the table." I stood and started to the cabinet.

"Amy still coming?" He asked over his shoulder.

"As far as I know. She probably would have called if she wasn't." I pulled down four plates. It only took a few minutes to complete the task of setting the table.

My mother arrived home with two bags of groceries. My father took his time going through the bags. With a smile he teased his wife, "You only went for a few things but come home with all this."

"Well, Smartelic, I can take it back."

I listened to their banter as they teased while I answered the door. Amy followed me back to the kitchen. Now, we both had to listen to my parents goof around. I refused to call it flirting, they were married. They were just so weird. They were the best parents ever but they were still weird. They should have had a houseful of kids and not have to deal with all the difficulty of the accident and it's aftermath.

Amy sent me a few amused looks while we all carried  food and drinks to the table.

Still thoughts of my parents and a houseful of kids kept filtering through my mind.

"Mom, Dad, why didn't you have more kids? I mean you could have adopted again, after me." I asked as we sat down to eat.

"I told you, sweetie, you were all we needed. With you here our family felt complete." Moms smile faltered a moment, sadness flooded her expression. "Now, I wish we had known about Amy." She turned an earnest glance to Amy. "We would have loved you too. "