Chapter 61 Innkeepers

I had to ride in a van with the others after spraying the scent blocker all over our bodies. They stuck me in the back seat between my guardians. I still couldn't bring myself to talk to Crow. He didn't push me.

Dium and Carmine sat in the second seat, a Lycan named Roger James drove while another Lycan named Stacy Vance rode in the seat next to him.

Roger parked the van and we split up into groups of three at each location only three of us went in at a time. I made sure to get paired with Dium and Wilma. Fortunately for us Dium was able to get a picture of Karachin from his mother. The picture was about six years old but she hadn't changed much. Her hair was longer but it was clearly her. Someone had printed it at Angelov's and made dozens of copies.

We entered the reception area and crossed the space to the plexiglass window.

The Indian man barely looked up before asking if we'd like a room.

“Actually, I'm not sure if we're in the right place. I'm looking for my cousin and her family.” Dium smiled politely and lifted the photo to the glass.

“No. Not see her. But you can get a room and I will tell her you are here when she check in.”

Dium shook his head. “No. Thank you, though. I must have gotten the wrong hotel.”

The next four places where much the same. Only one of the people we spoke with was rude. She literally dropped the plastic blinds while Dium spoke to her.

“Rude.” I yelled. Wilma shoved my arm. I sent her a glare and continued to confront the employee. “You're not supposed to be rude. Aren't you paid to be nice to customers?”

“You're not customers. Want our guest list - get a warrant.” She yelled.

I busted out laughing. “We're not cops. We really are looking for his cousin.”

“Yeah, well, I don't care who you are. She's not here anyways.” She yelled.

Wilma grabbed my wrist and shook her head. I looked at Dium. He shook his head and we left.

It was odd, the scent blockers. I hadn't realised how much I had grown accustomed to the scent of others around me. Without the scents of the six people I was with the scent of other people and places was overwhelming.

One of the innkeepers gave us distrustful looks the second we crossed the threshold. “Ninety-five a night, for a double, checkouts at ten, noise and drugs aren't tolerated. No extra guest. Absolutely no smoking in the rooms. Coffee, tea and muffins are put out at six in the morning.”

I smiled. Dium tried a slightly newer tactic. “Good to know. I need to know what room my cousin is in and if it'd be possible to get the room next to hers. She's with a friend.” He lifted the picture.

“Uncle D. Can I get a soda?” I asked pointing to the vending machine.

Without missing a beat he sat the photo on the desk and started digging change from his pocket. “No caffeine. We have a long day tomorrow so you need to sleep.” He handed over the change. I nodded. Then I looked at the innkeeper. “You have banana muffins in the morning?”

The innkeeper nodded and I noticed he had picked up the photo.

Playing along, Wilma also asked for a drink. “Dad, can I get a orange soda?” He gave it to me and nodded at the machine.

I smiled and walked over to the machine. His eyes had softened. He was more relaxed even his scent changed.

While I was feeding the machine he said, “You're cousin, you said?” I didn't pause as I pushed buttons. I was sure Dium nodded. “Who was she with?”