Chapter 50 Spill The Beans

"When you apply for Guardianship request me as your mentor." Sheldon nodded. Seconds later he turned to Kinsey. "You did well following the others. I don't think you need much help learning to hunt. The question I have is; can you hide?"

Hide? I shook my head questioningly at Audrey. She was smiling at Sheldon. Kinsey and I were just as confused. She tilted her head and shifted to her human form.

"We always hide." She told him. "I shifted and family said to dangerous. Rumors say hunter was coming. We run. Hunter catch up and my uncle get shot. So we run, hide. I cry when uncle Paul died. Thought Stephanie was hunter but she's my friend instead."

I patted her little shoulder.

"How about I teach you to really hide? In animal form and human form? I can show you how to confuse the hunters."

The game of chase suddenly became serious. Ten minutes later Gabriel was looking at Sheldon like he was some kind of super hero.

"Ready?" Sheldon directed at all of us. We all nodded. He nodded to Kinsey. She shifted to cub form. He looked at Audrey.

Audrey nodded. "We'll watch out for her." She promised.

Personally, I didn't see the big deal. We were on the estate grounds. Nothing was here that would hurt her. Still they took this protection thing serious.

He nodded and walked away. We waited the five minutes then started tracking his scent.

It was easy, at first. But the scent led us back to the same spot we started. We tried again. We found a new trail that led off the first only to have the same result.

"Maybe he's going in circles." Gabriel suggested. "We should just wait for him to come back around."

"He's not going in circles, Gabe." Audrey said. She looked around. "He lost us, or should I say we lost him."

It was another four minutes before Audrey's phone rang. She spoke with the person on the other side for a moment. "He's at the Willow." She said when she disconnected.

We made our way back to the Willow. As soon as it was in sight Kinsey shifted to human form. She ran ahead. I could hear her accusing Sheldon of tricking her.

"That is the point, kid. You have to trick the person who is following you. You create the trails you want them to follow then you retrace the trail you used to get there. They won't expect you to go back.

"That's only one way to trick them into going the wrong way."

"Can you teach us?" Gabriel asked. His tone hopeful.

"If it's okay with the others." Sheldon agreed.

I could tell Gabriel was happy. I wasn't. It would just mean more for me to learn and less time for myself. I didn't get much of that anymore as it was. Still I kept my thoughts to myself. I didn't want to hurt Kinsey or Gabriel's feelings.

My fears of having yet another task to learn turned out to be groundless. The Guardians where given permission to teach any of us. If we wanted to learn.

Gabriel and Kinsey where the only ones to volunteer for the extra lessons. They did drag me (and Amy, once) into the lesson on occasion. It's not like I could say no. The one time I tried Kinsey gave me a guilt-trip.

"I can't, Kin. I'm reading."

"But I need to learn to hide. Do you want hunters to find me? I need you." Her eyes filled with unshed tears and I crumbled.