Chapter 51 Family Day

I shook my head. "Mom, I don't need therapy. I'm serious. I really am a vampire."

"Steph, baby, I can tell you believe that. But you need to talk to a therapist." Dad said leaning around mom. "Your mom will make the app-"

I stood, jerking my hand from my mom. "I can prove it."

"Honey," mom practically moaned sadly. Dad whispered reassurance in her ear.

"It's okay. We'll get through this." I heard him murmur in her ear. Clearly he hadn't meant for me to hear.

I stepped back and forced my fangs down. It wasn't hard at all. I was already agitated. "Look at me." I demanded. I noticed what looked like silent communication pass between them before they both turned to looked at me.

Calm and collected didn't enter into it. They where both up from the sofa, waving arms, hands demanding answers. Dad demanded I remove the fangs from my mouth. Mom demanded I open my mouth saying that this wasn't funny. She literally tried to remove them herself.

To keep them from impelling her fingers I retracted my fangs. While a visual of the fangs insighted disbelief seeing the fangs retracted was completely different.

For a few seconds more pandemonium issued. Dad stumbled but caught his balance with his cane. Mom took a few steps back. She paused and reached behind her as she sat on the sofa.

I forced myself to stand still. I was scared. Sounds stupid, right? Doesn't matter, I was still scared.

With a quick glance at me dad joined her on the couch. None of us spoke. The sound of their heartbeats and the clock seemed unnaturally loud in the silence.

Their sides where pressed together but mom grabbed dad's hand.

"Are... Are you okay?" I asked hesitantly.

Mom shook her head, no.

"Honey, Steph, you, you're..." Dad didn't finish the thought out loud.

My mind however had no trouble filling in the blanks.

A monster, an abominations, a demon, a horrible creature. Tears pooled in my eyes. I really thought I would be able to handle any reaction. On a shuddering breath I whimpered, "I'm still me." My vision had blurred and tears fell unchecked. "I'm not a monster."

"Of course you aren't. But you need to give us a moment to process this." Dad said sliding his arm around my mom who was nodding in agreement.

"How long? When did this happen?" Mom asked her voice stronger. Her heartbeat was still a bit fast but I was pretty sure it was to be expected. Mine was faster than it should have been too.

I told her how long but even as I spoke I wondered if she really felt as strong as she sounded. I hoped so. They asked questions and I answered as much as I could. I told them there were some things I couldn't say because it wasn't mine to tell. There were other things I did tell them, I wasn't sure I should have.

They learned my biological parents were vampires. They learned how we had been unintentionally adopted, although I did skip a few details. They learned I was born a vampire and not made. I explained how it was a gene in my DNA that turned on when my hormones became more stable. They learned how we had been introduced to the Para-world. They learned that since we had met Angelov we had been learning about the Para-world in detail.

Turns out my mom had a few questions too. But they weren't about vampires. She liked Fairies. She had been fascinated by them since she was a kid. My least knowledgeable paranormal subject. I admitted my less then stellar knowledge. But I explained it wasn't entirely my fault. Fairy customs where very complicated.