Chapter 46 Home

Chapter 46 Home

The next two days crawled by. I was in trouble from everyone that stopped by the hospital. Even Angelov came to visit me with his mahogany cane. Either he had phenomenal timing or he planned it perfectly. Dad had just left to meet mom at the house for lunch. Angelov wore his heavy makeup too look older again. It creeped me out.

As soon as he entered the room he said, "You should know your parents, the king and queen, are worried. They blame me for this. I blame you. You are a child having a tantrum. You still don't understand the rules are for your protection. Be that as it may, I can't hold you prisoner. However," he smiled, eyes narrowed. "I can keep track of you. You'll feel a slight bump under the skin behind your left ear."

My hand flew up to my ear. Eyes wide I felt the skin. Nothing. I didn't feel anything.

"It's about the size of a grain of rice." Angelov explained. His smirk causing anger to build in my stomach.

I gasped out loud when I found it. "You're a real as-"

He hit the end of the bed with his cane. I jumped and let out a startled squeak. "No you don't, Missy. You refuse to follow rules, you sneak out, take chances, blame others, you refuse to wear the tracking watch. You have no one to blame except yourself."

I looked down at the white blankets. He didn't understand. "You don't understand. You have choices, I don't."

"You have plenty of choices, you just keep choosing wrong. Your sister doesn't seem to be as choiceless as you think you are. It is a matter of attitude, Ms. Stone. Yours needs an adjustment."

His tone made it perfectly clear he'd be pleased to adjust my attitude for me. I couldn't help but bristle at the threat. "Maybe it isn't my attitude that needs adjusting but your antiquated rules and expectations. How many times do I have to remind you people I didn't ask for any of this?"

"Whether or not you asked for it isn't the issue, Ms. Stone. This is the situation you have been dealt. Deal with it and move on."

I growled in anger. "I'm doing my best. I'm trying. Why can't you just name Amy as the heir apparent and be done with me? I'm not cut out to be a queen, don't you see that?"

"No, Ms. Stone. I see two young women who have the potential to be great Queens. I don't understand why you don't see it."

Was he serious? "I don't want to be Queen."

"Yes, I understand that. You have made it clear on more than one occasion."

Smith stood just inside the closed door. He gave the appearance of a Guardian or a soldier. He did at least try to look as if he weren't paying attention to our conversation. I still knew he heard every word.

I tried to convince myself everything would be okay. They would leave soon. A part of me didn't care. I wanted to toss them both out the door. I was aware I was still too weak to do anything. That in itself demanded the question, "How did I get sick anyway?"

Angelov blinked at the sudden change of subject. "The flu."

"The flu? I thought vampires were immune to diseases."

"Human diseases. We have some of our own variants of human diseases."

From there the conversation started into a new lesson on the the vampire race. There were five main diseases a vampire could have, not including blood lust. Flu, cancer, dementia, and two others I've never heard of.

Angelov said there was no human variant of Aekeret. It's symptoms were similar to the flu only harsher and quicker. Angelov admitted they had feared my fate til they got back the test on the third day. There was no cure once the disease Aekeret was contracted. One by one the patients organs shut down. Worse it could be passed from humans who had no symptoms.