Chapter 58 Shimmers

Chapter 58 Shimmers

I would like to say I stood my ground. I would like to say I demanded the chance to choose for myself who I wanted. I didn't. I ran, like the child he accused me of being. My wrist slipped effortlessly from his hand. He could have held me but chose to let me go.

I ignored him when he called my name. I just kept running. My thoughts and emotions were spinning out of control. My feet thumped against the floors drawing attention from others. Staff members poked their heads out to see what the noise was about. I ignored them, even the people I knew, including Olivia. Although, I at least acknowledged her.

"Stephanie," Olivia exited a door just a hundred feet away. "What?"

I shook my head, slowed my mad dash, and whipped around her bumping her shoulder.

"Stephanie," she yelled as she fell to the floor.

I kept running. I couldn't stop. I didn't want to. I would have to explain and I didn't understand what I was feeling.

My brain wasn't working, if it had been I would have taken my car. Instead I kept running. I didn't pay attention to where I was going. I didn't want to see anyone or speak to anyone. I only slowed down to keep from drawing attention from the humans. To them I probably looked like any other human out for a run.

If they knew what I was they'd be running too. If they had been able to see the look in my eyes they would have ran. As I ran, my confusion, my inner turmoil, became anger.

I ran til even my lungs burned. At one point I ended up at the school, the library, the dry cleaners. There was nothing left of our scents there. I even thought about hunting a dear, or even bear, but at least a small shred of sanity held me back.

In my anger I became less conscious. I didn't pay attention to my speed. I had no definite destination. It was only luck that kept me in less populated areas. Or maybe it was fate.

Because, I finally stopped running. I stood in the middle of the street. Breathing rough, I just watched as he knelt beside a black and red motorcycle.

I watched as he selected a tool. He used it to turn a bolt, or something, his attention completely focused on the bike in front of him.

I stepped back, out of the road, and took refuge by a hedge that needed trimming. The overhead boroughs of an oak made me feel protected, but I had no idea what I needed protection from.

When a woman came outside and called from him I shrank back farther from sight.

"Dinner's ready. You better wash up or you don't eat." She looked at his hands with distaste.

He dropped the tool with a clatter onto the concrete. "I'll be in in a second." He laughed lightly. "I'll be sure to wash up when I come in."

She smiled. "You better." She nodded and went back inside the house.

Kyle gathered the tools, wiped them with a dirty yellow cloth and put them in a small green tool box. I watched. Debating between staying back and going across the street, I hesitated. I knew his mom would invite me in, she'd feed me at their table, we'd talk, laugh, and she'd send us out to one of the greenhouses, she'd be clueless to the turmoil raging in my head. But I wasn't sure I could play the part I was expected to play. So, I stood there, waiting even after he entered the house.

It wasn't even ten minutes later he ran from the house, his backpack slung carelessly over a shoulder, to his car. Eric was right on his heels. For humans I thought they were fast and graceful. Can males be graceful? It didn't matter, I thought they were. He backed out of the driveway so fast the tires spun. He'd be in trouble for that later, his mom would make him clean the burnt rubber from the driveway.