Chapter 36 Immorality Bites

Mom woke me up at six. I dressed and brushed my hair. I called Amy to remind her that we were picking her up at 6:50 A.M. I was done getting ready sooner than I expected so pulled out my homework. I only got half a page done before mom said it was time to go. I closed the books and shoved them in my bag. I ran down stairs and yelled goodbye to my dad.

We picked up Amy. I sat in the back seat with her. Mom drove to the McDonald's just a few blocks from the school. From the look of the line at the drive thru we weren't the only ones who with the thought of grabbing something on the go.

"Oh. It looks like you might be late. Amy, you wanna call your mom? I know you missed some school when you were sick."

"It's okay, Mrs. Stone, I have excuse notes for the days I missed. As long as I get there before first class ends I won't be in trouble." Amy closed her lipstick and dropped it in the front pocket of her bag.

"Steph, you might want to work on your homework while we wait in line." She put the car in gear and inched up a few feet.

I grabbed my bag and pulled out my work. Amy put eyeliner on while I worked. By the time we pulled up to the speaker I had only six questions left to do.

"What do you girls want?" Mom asked looking in the rearview mirror at us.

Amy and I spoke at the same time and laughed. We both wanted two egg and cheese burritos, a hash brown​ and a Carmel Frappes. We were still giggling while Mom ordered.

"Three Carmel Frappes, three hash browns and six egg and cheese burritos." She reached over and pulled her purse from the front passenger side seat. "Oh, if you have chocolate chip cookies, we want three of those."

"Mild Sauce." I said.

"Can you make sure there's mold sauce?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'll do that."

How the heck can they tell it's an adult on the other side of the speaker? I shook my head.

I answered two more of questions. Mom paid for the food and moved forward. I put my books away. Amy put her eyeshadow back in her bag and zipped the pocket closed. Mom passed our drinks back to us and after pulling out her food passed us the bag.

We arrived at school with only two minutes before the bell rang. We ran to our classes. I was breathing hard, not because I was tired but because I had been worried about getting to class on time. Amy had doctor excused notes for the days she was absent. I didn't. Besides I had been getting in a lot of trouble lately. I kind of wanted to avoid some if I could.

At lunch Amy stood, talking and holding her tray, for a few minutes with some people from her Spanish class then came to sit with Eric and me. I wasn't sure if it was because Kyle had failed to show up for lunch or if Amy just wanted our company. I didn't think it was the company but I could be wrong. I'm sure I wasn't but I could be.

After lunch we went our separate ways. Eric walked me halfway to my class.

"I work till eight. If you want to check out the YouTube self defense I could pick you up at eight thirty." He gave a guy I didn't know a pat on the back. The guy turned, saw Eric, smiled and told him hi.

"I'm going over to Amy's after school. Did you get a chance to talk to Kyle?" I shifted to avoid someone not paying attention.

"I talked to him this morning but he wouldn't tell me anything." He shook his head. Just as we were about to head in different directions he grabbed my hand. "Wait."

I turned around to face him, shocked at the contact. He let go, jerking his hand back. "Sorry. I just wanted to tell you, I think you're right. He got mad I even asked. Something's up."