Chapter 14 Day Off

Chapter 14  Day Off

Kyle pulled up just after 4 on his motorcycle. He jogged up to the door. Stephanie opened the door before he had a chance to knock or ring the bell.

He gave her a flirty grin as he pulled the USBR out of his jacket pocket. "Anxious to see me?" he flirted holding the device out between them. When her hand almost reached it he jerked it to the side. She glared at him and reached for it again. This time she was faster and pulled it from his fingers. "You know you don't look sick. You're a little pale but you still look good."

She ignored the compliment unsure what she should say. "Thanks for bringing this to me. Maybe I'll get some of it typed before bed." She inspected the device as she spoke. She turned it on and found that there was over 3 hours of recorded audio on it.

"So was it true?" Kyle asked awkwardly. She looked at him questioning him with her eyes. "The library was you?"

"Vampires are real and you want to know if the library was really my fault?"

He shook his head. "No, I didn't say it was your fault? I just, I mean." he opened his mouth and swept his tongue over the roof of his mouth. "I knew vampires were real. I'm a caster so-" Stephanie made a chocking sound. "Gees, Steph, Eric said he told you." he watched her looking worried.

I nodded. Why didn't I think of that? They were twins, Eric had said his family. I wanted to roll her eyes. "He did, Kyle." I told him and nodded my head again. Then I shook my head, "I don't know what I was thinking. No big deal, right?" I tried a smile. "Hey, You really gotta go before my parents get home."

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I forgot." he told me looking sheepish and I wondered if he really had forgotten.

Twenty minutes later I started typing the conversation on the recorder. Now, knowing what I did it held my interest much more then it had when I thought it was all just a bunch of phony make-believe ramblings. Eventually my dad got home and started one of the dinners from the freezer. He found me on the computer and lifted his eye brows. I pulled the ear buds out of my ear and paused the play back on the recorder.

"What are you doing? Your mom said you were sick." he told me as he leaned against the door frame. He tilted his head and gave me an intense look. I wondered if he thought I was lying about being sick. His gaze turned concerned.

"I feel a little better and we have a group report do next month so I'm typing up the notes we need." I said as I slide the recorder into his view.

"Steph, you know if you take a day off it wont kill you, right?" I gave him a skeptical look. "I'm serious. You need to go to bed. You can do home work tomorrow or this weekend." I could tell he was worried but I did feel better so he was worried about nothing.

"But dad, there's over three hours of interviews to type." I whined.

"I don't care. Your pale. Your eyes look red and puffy. You've been on the computer too long. Go to your room." he said sternly. I knew that voice. Nothing I said would change his mind. So I started saving the file I had been working on. "Let me save this." I grumbled. Withing five minutes I had it all saved and had shut down the recorder. It was then that I remembered my lie.

"Hey dad?" I asked as I stood and pushed his chair back under the desk. I looked up and he was already waiting. I could tell he expected an argument. "Earlier when I felt really bad I didn't want to hurt my friends feelings so I told them you and mom said I couldn't have company till I was better."

"Oh. Well," he looked me over again. "That actually seems like a good idea. No company till you're better."

My jaw dropped. What? I had really just had my friends banned. That's not fair. "But..."