Chapter 5 Lost

Chapter 5 Lost

We made our way down the hall, looking, searching. None of the doors we had opened had revealed a restroom. The walls were a dark coffee and cream shade with a wispy silver overlay, the frames around each door was done in the same manner only darker. The doors were light reddish brown wood. It was actually pretty. I reached for the brass nob; I heard a voice on the other side. I opened my mouth to tell Amy but she was right there. My hand slid to my side. She took a step away. I grabbed her, twirled her around and pressed a hand over her mouth.

It was then I think she heard him too. She froze.

"They are in the study. -- I do not know. -- Yes, Amy and Stephanie. -- It could be fate that they both live within a few miles of the other. If the records had not been destroyed we would have been aware of the girls' identities a decade ago. -- I assure you they are both protected."

I looked at Amy and she looked at me. I'm sure we both wore the same confused expression. We pressed closer to the door but without actually touching it.

"No, proof of the change, yet. I gave them the tea and it should delay it for a time. -- Yes. -- Gregoph and Stephan. -- I still worry. What if Lynn- -- I will. I'm sorry but I do need to get back to the study. -- The moment I know."

Realizing that he would be in the hall at any moment I motioned at Amy to follow me. As quietly as we could we headed back the way we had come.

"I'm freaking out," she whispered frantically when we could see the study doors ahead of us.

"Shh."

She made a shaky motion with her hands that I took to mean "Fine, fine, oh my god what are we going to do?"

I just shook my head, meaning, "I have no idea."

"Ladies." We heard behind us. We both froze in our tracks. I swallowed the lump in my throat and turned. I almost sighed in relief. It wasn't Mr. Angelov. It was the butler, Mr. Smith. Amy still hadn't turned around. Blindly I reached for her and pulled. As she was turning I smiled my sweetest smile.

"We were just looking for the bathroom. When we couldn't find it we came back here... to the study." I told him. It took an effort to not smack my own head as I realized I sounded scared.

"Yeah. This house is kind of creepy. I was scared we would be lost forever." Amy said and laughed. I dared a quick look at her. How was it that everyone but me had no fear?

The expression on Mr. Smith's face didn't change. "The facilities are on the seconded floor. Follow me."

He turned and I looked at Amy again. It was obvious that we had no choice but to follow. I really didn't want too. Amy stepped after him and I followed her.

My heart sped up as I realized that we were going back the way we had come. Again.

My heart is thumping against my rib cage, but I'm not sure why. He can't know that we overheard his boss. We didn't even know what we heard. It made no sense. Besides he had to know that his boss was nuts. Right?

Despite the width of the hall, I felt Amy's shirt brush my arm. I glanced at her and quickly realized she was scared. I reached for her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. She gave me a grateful smile and squeezed back. I guess I needed it more than I thought because my heart slowed just a bit.

Mr. Smith turned a corner, I almost sighed out loud. This was another hallway, not the way we had traversed before. There was another turn and we saw a staircase leading up to another level. Mr. Smith glanced over his shoulder, I smiled. He didn't smile back, just turned and continued walking.

Within two minutes he was pointing to the restroom door. I followed Amy through the door. As soon as the door closed behind us she slumped against the wall.

"I thought for sure we were busted." She pushed a lock of blond hair away from her eyes and tucked it behind her ear.

"Yeah, I did too." I glanced at the door, hoping he couldn't hear us. The door was thick but I still worried. I took a deep breath.

"Go ahead and do your business," she said.

So I did. I actually needed to more than I had when I had first left the study. As I was washing my hands I said what I had been wondering all along.

"What are we going to do? Tell the others? We don't know what that was about really?"

Amy walked closer and nodded. "I don't think we can tell them." She moved beside me and finger-combed her hair as she spoke. "It'll sound crazy however we say it."

I bit my lip. She was right, we both were. "Okay, so-"

There was a loud knock on the door. I jumped. We both rushed to the door.

"Follow me." Mr. Smith said.

So we did. But he didn't head toward the stairs.

"Um, Mr. Smith?" Amy said as she pointed behind us. "Shouldn't we be going that way?"

"No." Without even looking at either of us he answered, "Mr. Angelov wanted to speak to the two of you privately."

Amy and I looked at each other. It crossed my mind to run. But I didn't know where we would run too. The truth is, that place was so big there was no doubt we'd get lost. We grabbed each other's hand and held tight.

We followed him down the hall.