Chapter 27 A New Tea

I waited till 10:30 after my parents went to bed to open my bedroom window. I clicked on the flashlight three times aimed at the street down the road, put the flashlight on the desk and slowly climbed out the window.

What the heck was I thinking!

I was sure I was going to slide off the roof, break my legs and my parents would send me to some reform school in Louisiana. My heart pounded.

Shoot, shoot, shoot! This was so stupid. I kept repeating to myself. I kept inching my way forward till I came to the edge of the roof. I knew the high was about fifteen feet to the ground, give or take a few feet, but from up there it looked a lot farther.

I sat on my butt with my legs hanging over the edge of the roof. I had no problem seeing. Most of yard looked as bright as a night lit with a full moon.

"You're a vampire. A one story drop is nothing to you." Eric had said on the way back to my house.

Sitting on the edge of the roof it didn't seem like nothing.

I blinked. I suddenly heard a sound that didn't belong. Thud-thud, thud-thud.

"Just jump." Eric whisper yelled up at me.

I rolled my eyes. "How about you come up here and just jump?"

I heard him laugh softly. I saw movement by the oak tree. He stood in the deepest shadows. I wished that tree was closer to the house.

"Jump, Steph." He still keep his voice low.

I held my breath, shifted my body, and pushed off the roof.

I'm not sure how it happened but somehow I landed on my feet. My legs absorbed the impact like it was nothing more then a step down a flight of stairs.

"See. I told you. Come on." Eric laughed from the shadows. 

We were two houses down from mine before I ask him, "What happen to waiting for me in the car?"

He shrugged his shoulder. "I knew you'd freak out as soon as you got a look at the ground."

I laughed. "Shows what you know. I started freaking out crawling out the window." I reached out and opened the door of the car. I slide into the passenger seat before he could respond.

We soon parked the car at the empty house next door to Amy's house. I sent her a text.

Me: wrh
Amy: omw

"She's on her way." I told him. I lifted up and awkwardly climbed into the backseat.

About the time I sat down Amy opened the door and slid into the car. "What did you do? Fly?"

"No, smarty, I was waiting at the front door when you texted. Mom had a migraine and took some pain pills and a sleep aid." She buckled her seatbelt.

"What about your dad?" Eric asked backing onto road.

"He could sleep through a tornado warning right next to his bed. Mom will have to wake him in the morning."

We arrived at Angelov's estate, Eric parked in front. Smith opened the door before we even made there.

"Mr. Angelov is waiting in the den. Follow me." He informed us as soon as we passed the threshold.  He then closed the heavy door behind Eric, who had entered last.

As we neared the den the door opened and a slim, dark haired girl exited. She barely looked at us. I on the other hand studied her.

She wore a simple black dress, her dark hair fell just below her shoulders, her makeup was so minimal it almost didn't exist. She moved with a self assurance that I envied. I could smell the scent of cloves and Angelov's tea drift from her direction.