Chapter 29 School Daze

I rode with Eric to school since we didn't have to take Amy to Angelov's. Amy of course didn't come to school. Kyle met me in the hall just feet from Amy's locker right before the start of the fourth class.

"Where's Amy? She wasn't in class." He pushed back a lock of hair from over his eyes.

I understood Kyle knew about us. I wasn't sure if Eric had told him about our night time visit with Angelov. I didn't think here was the place to discuss it. There were too many people, too many ears, eyes and mouths to repeat over-heard whispers in a crowed hallway.

Someone bumped into my side knocking me forward and to the left. My shoulder hit Kyle's chest and he grabbed me. He kept me on my feet. My heart accelerated when someone else crashed hard into my back and I found myself pressed against Kyle. The contact only lasted three seconds but it was enough to irritate me. I heard someone mumble an apology but I was already angry. It didn't occur to me my anger was irrational. It should have, but it didn't.

I turned, searching. There were too many people. My vision, overly sharp, tracked too much movement, too much color, too many faces, too many people in too many directions. Everyone moved around me. Their voices and heartbeats one on top of the other. I heard footsteps, voices, laughter, lockers opening and closing. Even their smells tried to blend in with each other. Each second brought a new sound, smell, or sight. They constantly moved stirring the air. I could smell them all. Perfumes, body odors, ink, hair gel, and the scent of hay faintly drifted on the moving air. I even smelled horses, glue, wolves, paper, wax, and so many scents I felt sensory overload.

The halls started to clear as everyone entered classes. I couldn't get a hold of my emotions. They felt like helium balloons connected with simple, thin, weak string. My emotions rampant.

I tried to push the anger aside. My hands shook. A growl rumbled through my chest. What's wrong with me? My heart thudded against my ribs. My chest felt tight. Kyle's fingers tightened around my upper arm.

"Shit, Steph." He practically hissed at me. My name snatched my attention. I turned, the hall blurred then, his face snapped into focus. His eyes widened. My eyes narrowed. His heartbeat sounded as loud to my ears as a train or thunderstorm but the background sounds of other heartbeats came through the walls.

The sudden sound of the bell pierced my ears like daggers. I jerked away from Kyle and covered my ears. I cried out, uncaring if anyone else remained in the hall.

For the two seconds the bell sounded I felt more pain then I ever experienced. Kyle gently took my arm and led me to the bathroom alcove. We stood there, alone, neither of us speaking. My senses were slowly returning to normal. I still heard his heart, although I could no longer hear the heartbeats of the people on the other side of the walls. My heart slowed and I felt heavy. No, it was more like the air around me felt heavy.

"Are you okay now?" He looked at me with so much concern it made me want to hug him.

I nodded. I took a deep breath in through my nose. I couldn't smells anything other than his deodorant. That was good. I opened my mouth to tell him I was okay only to find my mouth too dry to form the words. I turned to the water fountain. I let it run a moment, in an attempted to rinse off any germs, I bent over it and drank deeply.

"Maybe you should go home," Kyle suggested behind me.

"No." I said and went back to drinking the water. After more than a few swallows I lifted from the fountain and turned to him.

"Lunch is next hour. I can take you home."

"I'm fine, Kyle." It came out harsher then I intended. "I didn't mean to sound so bitchy." I shook my head. I softened my tone. "I'm really fine, Kyle. I'll see you at lunch, okay?"