Chapter 9 Not Alone

Chapter 9 Not Alone

Amy drove the scooter and it didn't take me long to notice that we were headed in the wrong direction. I tapped her shoulder. "Where are you going?"

"We're not going alone." She yelled over her shoulder. "I'm going to Eric and Kyle's. I know Kyle would go with us."

I honestly wasn't sure about this idea. Knowing that Kyle "liked" me when I didn't feel the same felt awkward. Worse I liked his brother, well kind of, I could like him if he liked me. At the moment I had more important things on my mind. That mental old man had some explaining to do. I wasn't really a believer in coincidence. Actually I had never thought about it. Now that I was thinking about it I didn't believe in it.

It was only minutes later that we pulled in to their driveway. Eric and Kyle weren't identical twins but telling them apart from behind was impossible. One of them crouched in the driveway working on a black and green motorcycle. He obviously heard us pull up and sat a big silver tool on the concrete beside the bike.

"Steff and Amy, what are you doing here? I figured you would be working on the assignment." Eric said as he stood and whipped his hand on a perfectly clean yellow towel that sat on the bikes gas tank.

"We need to talk to Kyle, could you get him?" I called.

He gave me a slightly hostel look before telling us that Kyle wasn't home. "He probably wont be back till ten."

"Are you sure? We really need him to go back to Mr. Angelovs with us." Amy said.

"Why? And yeah I'm sure. He was called in to work for a few hours. Jessica didn't show up."

I couldn't even remember where Kyle worked. I tapped Amy on the shoulder. "We need to go. I need to be home soon."

"You guys don't need to go back there alone." Eric said. He stuffed the towel into the bag on the motorcycle.

"Amy wanted Kyle to go with us." I blurted out as if he didn't already know what we wanted.

"I'll go." Eric offered. "We can take my car."

"That's fine with me." Amy said and pushed me out of her way as she got off of the scooter. "Where do you want me to put this?" she asked indicating the scooter.

"Just put it by the bike. I'll go grab my car keys. I'll be back in a minute." He walked over to the bike and picked up the tools that sat on the concrete and put them in the bag with the towel. He pulled out a piece of tarp that he spread over the bike. "Be right back." he called again. Then he walked quickly to the front door and inside.

We pushed the scooter where he told us too and Amy pocketed the keys. He was back six minutes later with a clean shirt and a set of keys on dangling from his hand.

"You'll have to follow me around back." We followed him to the left of the garage where a tall wooden fence met the red brick garage wall. He held open the gate as we passed though it. We ended up in the back yard. Someone knew a lot about plants because there was plants all over the place and they all looked well groomed, for lack of a more apt description. There was also three other buildings. Two green houses and another garage. He walked strait to the garage. He pulled open the double doors to reveal the saddest looking car I had ever seen.

"This is Anya." he told us moving to the drivers door. Anya as he called it was a Ford Mustang Fastback but I wasn't sure of the year. But I very sure it was old and falling apart. In its past life it may have been blue or white. Now It was it was rust, blue, white, light gray, reddish doors and black hood. The only thing that looked to be in working order were the tires.