Chapter 18 Accusations

I expected to be nervous going back to Mr. Angelov's but I wasn't. Eric drove down the long morning shaded drive. Amy and Kyle sat in the back seat while I sat in the front bucket seat. I didn't look in the back seat because I remained fairly sure Kyle was still glaring at everyone. He had wanted me to sit in the back with him when Amy said she wanted to sit in the back he volunteered me to sit in the back with her. Amy had immediately vetoed the idea.

"No, she's been sick. She needs to sit by the window. If she gets sick she can do it out the window." She opened the car door and motioned for Kyle to get in the car.

"Get in." he grumbled at her. She made a dismissive face, lifted the back of the seat and climbed in the car. He followed her, settling on the passenger seat. He let the seat-back fall into place.

Eric wasn't in a good mood either. With in moments of being on the road he and Kyle were arguing over the radio.

"Just shut up, Kyle. My car, my radio."

"All I'm saying is find something better to listen to then this crap." I felt something bump the back of my seat. I assumed it was his knee but he could have also punched the seat in his anger.

"If you don't shut up right now I'll pull over and you can walk." Eric glared at him and then directed his eyes back to the road.

Kyle grumbled under his breath. The silence didn't last long.

"You can make a right turn on red." Kyle demanded. "You're wasting time, Eric. If we had went the way I said we could have avoided this."

While Eric verbally retaliated I looked over at Amy in the back seat. 'Has it been like this all morning?" I questioned with my eyes, glancing first at Eric then at Kyle.

She rolled her eyes and nodded. She lifted her eye brows and looked at Kyle and Eric. Eyes wide she shook her head. I took that to mean, 'You have no idea!'

I shook my head, faced forward and tried to tune out the arguing brothers. They both shut up when Eric started to pull over after threatening again to kick Kyle out of the car.

"Jeez, Eric! Fine! Fine." This time the silence lasted. The atmosphere in the car remained tense. No one spoke but the music continued to play the same CD that Kyle had objected to before.

Eric finally stopped the car in front of Angelov's house. I didn't even wait till the keys were out of the ignition before opening my door and stepping out.

The four of us made our way to the front door, Eric and Kyle shooting glares in each others direction. Amy and I walked a few feet behind them sharing looks of our own. I'm fairly sure that Amy and I were equally confused at their behavior.

Mr. Smith opened the door before we had a chance to knock. He smiled but the effect didn't reach his eyes. He examined Eric and Kyle, invited us all inside and showed us to the study.

Mr. Angelov waited in the room his back to the door. He started speaking before he turned around. "Ladies- and gentlemen, it is nice of you to join me again." He stood facing us, smile in place, gesturing to the table where tea had been sat out as before. "Please have a seat,. Tea?"

We each took a seat, Amy and I on the love seat across from Mr. Angelov, Eric and Kyle each chose seats in chairs across from each other.

Amy poured tea for all of us. Eric and Kyle continued to glare at each other while we all flavored our tea to our preference.

"So, Ms. Stone, what questions do you have for your school report?" Mr. Angelov lifted his tea and took a slow sip. Something in his tone told me he wasn't pleased that the guys were there. He also mentioned the project and he knew that wasn't why we were there.

"Mr. Angelov, Eric and Kyle are our friends and we trust them. They also know that something is going on."

The look Angelov sent me made me shiver. He was clearly not pleased.

"I know what you are. And you too." Eric directed the comment to Angelov and then to Mr. Smith.

Angelov placed his cup on the table and then smiled at Eric. "Do you? Please, enlighten me, what are we?"

I didn't expect the words that came out of Eric's mouth. Amy didn't either as she let out at sound of surprised distress. In my case if I had been drinking my tea I would have choked and I doubt a simple whack on the back would have been much help.

"Vampire." Eric looked at Mr. Angelov. Then he turned to Mr. Smith. "Caster." Mr. Smith took a threatening step forward, Mr. Angelov held up a hand that immediately halted him.

No one spoke. Angelov leaned forward. Amy's eyes darted to one person then another, Kyle had apparently forgotten his anger as he now watched Mr. Smith.

I suppose the silence only lasted a few seconds but it felt longer.

"Shall I even bother to ask why you suggest such a thing?"

Eric nodded. He leaned back, shoved a hand in his pocket then pulled it free. His fingers curled closed. He flipped over his hand and opened his fist. In his palm sat a small clear baggy and a what looked like a tightly folded piece of black fabric.

"You carry a conceal charm?" Everyone turned to look at Mr. Smith. I wanted to smile. To me seemed like he wished he hadn't spoken.

"Aw. So, young man, you are a caster?" Angelov turned to Kyle. "You as well, I suppose?" Kyle sent his brother a questioning look. Eric nodded. Kyle nodded to Mr. Angelov. "Conceal charm?" Kyle confirmed with a nod. Angelov leaned back in his seat. He wore a small thoughtful smile. "This isn't expected. But I can't say I'm displeased."

Why isn't he denying Eric's claim? That would have been the first thing I did.

"So, I assume that you know what the girls are, who they are?"

Eric shifted uncomfortably. I admit to being stunned. What did Angelov mean, 'what the girls are'? He laughed. He sounded truly pleased. The sound had the opposite effect on me.

"Will some one please explain to me what is going on?" My voice was loud and my anger managed to do what my silence hadn't. Angelov stopped laughing and everyone turned to me. Angelov still smiled.

"How about I let the young man explain?"

"No. I don't know. We came here because you are supposed to have answers." Eric looked at me then Angelov then again back at me. He seemed apologetic about something. His next words confirmed it. "I'm sorry I should have told you what he was before we came back here." he turned back to Angelov. "She's sick. You have to know what is wrong with her. The tea helps, so you can heal her or something. Right? Both of them." Some where in his speech he had started to direct it to Mr. Smith, the caster.

Mr. Smith sought Angelovs approval. Angelov shook his head. He looked at each of us in turn. Amy smiled at him when his gaze landed on her. Kyle looked away. I glared at him and Eric looked at him expectantly.

"You're friends aren't sick, Mr. Walker." Eric opened his mouth but Angelov cut him off with his next words. "They are maturing. I am not the only vampire in this room."

I think I stopped breathing, I'm fairly sure as a matter of fact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you like the chapter and want more hit the like, leave a comment and tell me what you think. What happens next? Do they get answers or just more questions?  Who are they?  And who the heck is Mr. Angelov?  Why is Angelov pleased about Kyle and Eric being casters?