Chapter 7 Leave Taking

We were more than happy to leave the library. When we walked in the study the others jumped up from their seats. 

"Where were you?" Kyle demanded. He moved around the coffee table to stand right in front of us. 

"What took so long?" Brandon asked much calmer than Kyle. 

"We got lost," Amy said and gave me a look that I had no problem interpreting. 'We'd just look as crazy as Mr. Angelov if we tell them.' 

I nodded. It was true. We don't know what we heard, or at least what it meant. Besides, it's well that known that Mr. Angelov wasn't completely sane. So whatever he was talking about probably had no importance anyway. 

"If it's all the same to you guys I think we got plenty. We can Google vampires and get more than we can from this guy." Brandon said as he sat back in his seat. 

The door opened behind us. Mr. Angelov came in followed by Mr. Smith. 

"Children, I've enjoyed your visit. Is there anything else I can do for you?" 

Amy walked over to the coffee table and picked up her micro AUDIO SD recorder. She pressed stop and the red light on the corner of the device went off. 

"No. I think we're done." Kyle said standing at my side. 

Brandon jumped up from his seat. "Bout time. I have a date with Wanda Winters tonight." He bragged with a grin. 

I rolled my eyes. Brandon had no trouble talking most girls into a first date. But it never lasted more than a month. He always ended it. What was insane to me was that over half of the girls are still friends with him. I don't understand why they dated him too begin with. 

"Thank you, Mr. Angelov." I nodded at him. "The tea was wonderful and I think we have what we need for our report." I smiled as it occurred to me that if nothing else my throat felt better. Hot tea, I'll have to try that when I get home if it gets worse. 

My friends were already moving towards the door. Amy had put the SD Recorder in her back pocket. 

"Mr. Angelov?" She asked shyly. 

He turned to her with a pleasant smile. "Yes, dear?" 

"The tea you served? What kind is it? I had a sore throat but it feels better." She spoke so fast. Her thoughts just kept spilling from her mouth. "My mum says tea cures about anything. And yours tasted like licorice. Can I get it at the grocery store on Sixth Street?" She blushed and snapped her mouth closed as Brandon muttered under his breath. 

"Motormouth." 

I glared at him. He constantly made a jerk of himself. He wouldn't be here if the teacher hadn't pared him with our group.

"What? It's a joke." He said trying to sound innocent. But he rolled his eyes at me which ruined the effect. 

"Unfortunately, it's a special blend of herbs and black tea." Mr. Angelov apologized nicely, ignoring Brandon. "But if you'd like, I could have Smith prepare some for you to take home." He motioned to Smith with a wave of his hand. Smith nodded then exited the room. The door swishing closed softly behind him. "Come, I'll walk you to the front door." 

We slowly made our way through the house. Angelov walked and moved like an old man. I wondered if I had imagined his agility earlier. I dismissed the thought. It didn't matter.
"You have my number if you have any questions." He reminded me. 

Childishly, I wished he would walk faster. The trip to the front foyer seemed to take twice as long with Angelov then it had with Smith. 

"Oh, yes," Amy said. She smiled pleasantly. If I didn't know better I'd think the incident in the library had never happened.

"Can we walk faster?" Brandon asked childishly. He was ignored by us but I noticed the look that Mr. Angelov gave him. I imagined it was close to the look a mountain lion gave a house cat. 

"I've had a wonderful time, Mr. Angelov, it was very informative," I said. In truth, it wasn't strictly truth or lie but I was raised to respect my elders. I should have said something about doing it again sometime but I couldn't bring myself to lie outright. 

As we reached the foyer Mr. Smith entered it from another hallway. He held two small jars.
"My ladies, gentlemen, sir." He greeted us. 

In minutes we were on our way. Eric took his car. Brandon and Kyle took Brandon's car. Brandon only had a driver permit but he still drove all the time. It helped that his uncle was a cop so he never got in trouble. 

Amy and I rode her scooter. She drove to the library. 

In the library, we logged in to the library computers. We sat side by side and searched on different sites. 

At this point, I was wishing we had done our work on anything else. I remember seeing the strange spelling on one of the bindings in Angelov's library. It took me a minute but I typed it in the search engine. 

VÆMPÎYRË Madrasa

It pulled up a hit. I clicked it. 

Madrasa Dynasty

1694-1795

Madrasa Dynasty

1896-1997

Madrasa Dynasty 

1998-Present

For more information and dates farther back enter the code.
I tried to click the most recent years but it went to a security screen.
Enter access code... I entered the word vampire. It loaded and flashed
Incorrect code. Please try again.

I entered VÆMPÎYRË. 

Incorrect code. Please try again.
I shrugged my shoulders. Then I entered... You have to be kidding me.

Incorrect code. 3... 2... 1...

I sighed. Oh, well. Then my screen went black. From the corner of my eye, I saw Amy's computer go black. Unfortunately, it didn't stop there. All ten library computers went black.
"Hey?" Amy said as hers went out.

"What just happened?" A guy on the computer across from me asked. He looked up at the librarian that sat at the desk just eight feet from us.

"But I didn't do anything this time." A woman whined a few rows from us.

The librarian tapped the top of her computer with the palm of her hand. She gave it a puzzled look, stood up and made her way to the public computers.

"Time to go," I whispered to Amy. I had a bad feeling that I was the cause of this.

"But I didn't get a chance to save any of that." 

"Let's go." I leaned over and grabbed her pack from the floor. Out of my seat, I saw the woman a few rows down crying to the librarian. "I don't know. Comp - computers ha - hate m - me."
I didn't explain what happened to Amy I just hustled her out of there. She didn't dig annoying and start demanding an explanation. She seemed to understand, at least a little because she lowered her voice as she asked what the heck was going on as we rushed up the stairs from the ground floor. I shook my head and promised to tell her latter.

"When?" She whispered as we passed the main desk.

"At my house," I promised. I threw a smile at the woman at the desk. Thankfully, she didn't look that interested in us.

We didn't talk again till we got to my house and shut the bedroom door behind us.