Self-Care Therapy

Puffing out my chest as I inhaled a lung's worth of air, I winced at a sharp pain on the side of my ribs. Standing next to the coffee cart as Diego brewed a new fresh batch for an incoming rush hour, I watched him soak a dark roast from a glass brew stand. With the car honks and the sheer panic of the interns and residents running into the hospital, I brushed past Bailey, who was in the middle of a phone call as I reached for some creamer and sugar.

"No...no, I never told him to call Ben 'Dad'..." 

"...Yes, I'm aware that you are Tuck's father. And please do not raise your voice at me-, Hello? Tucker?" 

Quickly glancing at her, she slammed her phone on the counter, before digging into her purse for her wallet, when she notices me standing behind her.

"...is everything alright?" I questioned.

"My ex-husband overheard our son call Ben 'Dad', and now Tucker's hurt, Tuck feels bad, and Ben is oblivious-" 

"Thanks." Taking my coffee, Bailey handed Diego her charge of coffee as I ripped open a packet of sugar.

"And somehow it's all my problem." 

"Are you asking my opinion about all of this?" I asked nervously.

"I would way rather give my opinion about your life." 

Nodding my head as I felt a slight smirk emerge from my lips, I stirred my cup as Bailey prepared hers.

"Hmm, in that case...how did you tell Ben that you wanted to get a therapist?" 

Cautiously peeping my eyes under my lashes, I watched her freeze in the middle of pouring her creamer before furrowing her brows and turning to me.

"...since when are you looking to get a therapist?" She asked.

"I had a patient last week...the one where our female staff lined up the walls. I've been thinking about her and how she's doing, if she's okay." 

"Yeah, that was quite the case..."

Sighing, I shuffled over to the shade under Diego's cart, waiting for Bailey.

"...Her husband mentioned how they should go to counseling together, to figure out how he could help her cope...and I just thought that maybe with everything that's been going on, how my life has turned out, that maybe I should give it a thought...get help or just get someone else to listen to my problems," I whispered.

"You don't think Jackson wants to know?"

"Oh, he knows...I've been trying to be more open with him, but he can only do so much and I think I need actual help...my trauma runs deep and I can't keep burdening Jackson with my dark thoughts." 

"...well, as your friend, I think it's a great idea." She smiled.

"And as my colleague?"

Taking a moment, Bailey pressed on the top of her cup before holding it and turning tome.

"Be careful..." She sighed.

"With what?" 

"Sometimes word gets around and people make assumptions...they make rumors."

"...like they did with you."

"Being bipolar was something that I was embarrassed about, I didn't know how my patients would take it-, hell, even their families, knowing that their doctor also had problems." Bailey sighed, looking down at her cup.

"I get it...I'll make sure I find someone suitable."

Barely stepping away from the coffee cart, Bailey and I continued talking about Ben and Tucker's relationship, when I hear heavy footsteps come up behind his. Huffing and puffing from his car to where we were standing, Karev interrupts our conversation.