She's Leaving Home

Walking down the hall of the Hospital, I slowly turn the corner into lounge area on the first floor. 

Maggie was sitting at the round table near the door, while Callie and Owen were discussing one of their patients. 

"And it wound up cracking the tibial plateau. Can I help you?" Callie said as she held a cup of coffee in her hand.

"You're hogging the pot," Alex blurted out.

'Everything looks different now...it wasn't the same.'

"Maybe asking nicely, like a civilized human being. Callie?"

"Hmm?"

"May I have the carafe, please?"

"Oh! Hmm."

"See. It's quite easy, actually."

Standing in the room, I stare toward the far corner while their words went through one ear and out the other.

"Elena, I heard there was weather near Dulles. Derek's flight got delayed, didn't it? I hate the airport," She asked me, but the sound of her voice muffled off.

"Pierce, my gallbladder guy's pacemaker keeps misfiring. You think you can take a look at it?" Webber asked as he stepped inside.

"Yeah, uh, I could do it right now. Mm."

"Derek is dead..." I whispered but no one seemed to hear what I said and continued on.

"No, you can't. Nu, um, I need you to place an IVC filter on my laminectomy patient." Callie added.

"Okay, right. Um, I could swing by in about 20."

"Derek is dead."

"What was that?" Callie asked as she looked at her phone.

"Derek...is dead." I blurted out as I made eye contact with Maggie.

The room stood still, everyone just stared at me. Slowly standing up or moving from where they were standing, they were shocked.

"Elena..." Webber whispered.

"He's not dead," Owen added. 

The room started to blur out and go around in circles like I was on a carousel or something.

"Elena, what do you mean? Elena?"

"What do you mean?" Their voices echoed at the distance.

'He's gone...and there's not getting it back.'

~

Owen's POV

Wrapping the IV tube around the hook of the machine, I check her vitals one last time before closing the door behind me.

Richard and Bailey were standing outside and he consoled her about Derek.

"Hey, how is she?" Bailey asked.

"She's all right. She's just dehydrated. How's Amelia holding up?" I asked, but their faces told me nothing.

"What, she doesn't know?" I blurted out.

"She's in surgery. You know the protocol."

"...Yeah. Well, has anyone told Jackson?" I asked.

"He's right behind you..." Richard whispered.

Running down the hallway, he stopped just a few yards away before glancing into Elena's room.

"What happened?"