The Unravelment

Sitting on the ottoman just at the edge of the bed, I stared off into the distance as the door leading to the master bedroom creaked open. Looking past the covered furniture and the layer of dust that had accumulated over the last few years, I just sat there in complete silence. Feeling the cold air brush past my toes, rubbing them together as I turned back to see where the breeze was coming from. Catching a peak of the nature view behind the house, I slowly pushed myself off the ottoman and over to the balcony door.

The mountains were barely visible at night, but the stars, though you don't see them in the city, were the most captivating view of the night. Leaning onto the railing, I placed my chin above my hands letting the breeze surround me for the next few minutes. Comforted by the sounds of nature, it was the first time in a long time that I heard my own thoughts calmly settle in for the night. The echoing of my voice had finally disappeared and all I was left with was the hollowness and static sounds from the breeze.

But just as I allowed my body to release its tension, a wood board from my bedroom creaked followed by the sound of heavy boots wandering around the balcony doors.

"...Hello?"

Stepping away from the railing, the door creaked open and Frank peaked his head between the frame.

"I saw your doors were open figured you weren't asleep."

"...good guess." I sighed.

"And the great view...Woah."

Making his way over to the railing, the two of us stood there admiring the rest of the mountains and stars until one of us broke the silence.

"So...Are you okay?" Frank whispered.

"...I don't know...I guess I am, in a way. But it's not like I haven't done this before."

"What do you mean?"

"Running..."

Shaking my head, I pulled in my bottom lip, carefully tearing at the skin.

"...the first time I left because of Leo, there was this mentor of mine, Ellis Grey...she took me in and next thing I know I'm in Seattle. The second time was when I took a job in Switzerland...and the third time I disappeared with my sister to California..."

"What was in California?"

"...the beach...and a private practice who was desperate for a new doctor." I sighed.

"So...you just left?"

"It's one of my many talents..."

"I'll keep that in mind next time I want an escape."

Turning himself around, Frank rested his back on the railing as I continued to look out into the distance as the clouds drifted on, covering the moon.

"My brother had just died...a semi crash into him. The doctors at nearby hospital didn't get him a head CT...and just took him straight into surgery where he was pronounced brain dead. A few hours later his wife took him off the ventilator..."

"I'm so sorry..."

"...she came to me, asked for my help...next thing I know, I'm packing up my son's things and getting into the car for California. Meredith and I...we had lost enough. She lost her husband, her kids lost their father...and I lost him. It wasn't easy when I came back..."

"Why did you?" He asked.

"Our lives...not to mention work. Meredith just needed the vacation but I...I wanted it. A new life, a new beginning...someplace where Theo can grow up and be happy." I mumbled.