Life Hacks

Sitting down on a brown high chair, I relaxed as the makeup brushes glided against my skin. The smell of peach and roses roam the room as the stylist had walked in with a whole wardrobe rolling in behind her.

"Is this really necessary?" I called out for Catherine who was getting ready herself.

"Sweetheart, this is your sixth win. It's huge. Why not have a little fun with it."

Glancing over, Jackson walks through the bathroom door wearing a navy blue suit as another stylist had brushed off the lent from his shoulders.

"Elena, how about this?"

Eyeing the clothes she was holding, I raised an eyebrow at the very short skirt to her shirt and a revealing shirt to her right.

"I'm a Doctor and Chief, I don't want to be seen as a sex symbol, thanks," I whispered.

Feeling the hairdresser's fingers running through my hair, he turns me back around to face the mirror.

"Viola! You like?" He laughed.

"I love, thank you, Toni."

Turning my head to the side I glanced down at my softly curled hair as it ran past my shoulders and just mid bicep.

"Okay, what about this?"

Looking over my shoulder, my stylist held a mustard color long sleeve with a scooped neck.

"I like it, what about the bottoms?" I asked.

Then suddenly, the pulls out a black and white plaided skirt that went all the way down to my knees.

"That's better." I chuckled as I saw the sign of relief on her face.

Changing into my clothes, I slid my foot down some black strappy heels before one of the producers for the interview walked in.

"Avery's, you have 10 minutes before the call."

"Thank you, Andrew," Catherine said.

Finishing up the last touches, Jackson smiled at me as I met him at the door.

"What?" I whispered.

"You gave the stylist quite the trouble." He chuckled.

"You heard your mom, have fun with it."

Standing beside each other we watched as Catherine was being interviewed first on the talk show. The crowd stared at her as she spoke about the foundation, before Kevin, the face of the show, asked about her first impression of Jackson and me as a couple.

'What about Jackson and Elena? What was your impression of the two of them having a child before marriage?'

'Well, my impression was that they couldn't wait.' She laughed.

"Jesus..." I whispered.

"Mom, really?" Jackson added.

'But, they love each other. They truly are meant for one another, and they are only a hand full of people in this world that get to find love twice. I mean, no marriage is perfect, but somehow through the stress and the urgent need of their job as Doctors, they always find ways to work things out. I'm just glad that they found each other after all these years.'

Hearing the crowd clapping after, Jackson's shoulder lightly bumps into mine.

"Smooth." I sighed.

'And what about Elena's son, Theodore Sloan-Shepherd. How has it been being a step-grandmother to him?'

'Oh, I'm not a step-grandmother, I'm simply grandma to him. He's a brilliant child, just like his parents. His father, Dr. Mark Sloan, who was one of the best Plastic Surgeons in the East coast, was fascinating to watch. Jackson learned from him, later developing a bond, and I think as Theo's new adoptive father, Mark would be proud.'