It's Too Late Now

"Okay, let's close him up," I said to DeLuca as he assisted me on a small liver procedure. Throwing the lap pads on the grounds beside one of the tech nurses, who was counting them on them, I walked over the wires and headset that I had on during surgery.

"Thank you, everyone. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Heading past the sealed doors and into the scrub room, I quickly wash out and head into the hallway where another patient was being rolled into O.R. #2, as Pierce and Karev stood at the nurse's station.

"What do you have?" I asked them.

"Heart Transplant and first heartbreak." Pierce sighed.

"Heartbreak? Jesus, it led him into surgery?"

"No, he had a bad heart, but his theatre geek boyfriend gave him an ultimatum," Karev added, handing the nurse the table he carried.

"Well, poor kid. Let's hope he pulls through this."

Leaning on the counter, the three of us watched as the tech nurses started to prep him for surgery as we watched through the side window.

"Do you remember what your first heartbreak was?" Pierce asked me.

"...Um...yeah. 10th grade." I whispered.

"What happened?"

"He was older...didn't want to go to college, so he enlisted."

"Then what?" Karev blurted out.

"Then-" Hearing Catherine's voice coming from the other end of the hallway, the three of us turned to look at her bickering with Jackson over something when suddenly they noticed an odd silence in the room before making direct eye contact with us.

"Have fun." Karev chuckled, disappearing into the OR room.

Still staring at Maggie and me, she softly patted my shoulder before vanishing as well.

"Thanks for nothing." I hissed.

Throwing my mask and scrub shoes into the trash can as I headed down the hall, Catherine and Jackson waited for me at near the elevators.

"Did you just get out of surgery?" Jackson asked.

"Yeah, Liver resection. I was just gonna go head up to grab something from the cafeteria-"

"Oh, don't worry about it. We'll all head for lunch after our meeting with Michelle." Catherine blurted out.

Looking over at Jackson, I noticed the brief glare he gave at his mother before faking a smile as he looked down at me.

"I'm sure this little one can handle another hour." He whispered looking down at my stomach.

While in the elevator, we sat through several stops and people walking in and out as we tried to reach the 5th floor of the hospital where Michelle's room was assigned. And in the meantime, Jackson and Catherine caught me up with the procedure they had planned for the first section on her surgery before I came in reconstructed her new vagina with Jackson.

"...And after several...attempts, I'm sure she will be able to have a pleasant sensation." Catherine said.

"Attempts? How many times are we going to go under the knife for her?" 

"Jackson...she meant stimulation...like sex," I whispered sarcastically.

"Right...I knew that?"

"Sure you did."

Reaching Michelle's room, Catherine headed in first, just as Richard tagged along with us inside the room.

"Good Morning."