House Of Cards

"Here you go, Dr. Shepherd." A Nurse said.

"Thank You, Nancy."

Standing at the edge of the Nurses Station, I read over my patient's post-ops of his operation. 

"His heart condition is normal, since the last procedure, so that's great," I whispered.

"And he was able to get off of 24 hours watch, since his cardiac arrest," Nancy added.

"Well, I think Mr.Edwards is on the road to recovery. Make sure you give a copy to Dr. Yang, I would like her to be informed about her patient as well." I order.

"Yes Ma'am."

Handing her the file, I turn to look at my phone.

"Elena," Meredith said, walking up to me.

"Hey."

"Derek needs to see you in his office?" She said quietly.

"Office? Since when does my brother have an Office?" I asked, but seeing as she was more concerned about something else, I head to the elevator.

~

"Good Morning Dr. Shepherd." One of the Doctors said as he went in the elevator.

"Good Morning."

Making my way down the hall, I cross the glass walkway that stands just above the 1st level of the hospital, before taking a left and into my brother's office.

Poking my head inside, I knock on the door.

"Elena," Derek says.

"Why did Meredith send me to Webber's office?" I asked.

Getting up from his chair, he makes his way over to the front of the desk.

"I'm the new Chief of Surgery." He says, crossing his arms.

"Excuse me, what?" I questioned, walking to the middle of the room.

"I was assigned Chief by the Board of Directors."

Watching him, I analyze his body language, and his face to see if he was lying.

"The board can't just choose anyone to become Chief? That position was already planned, there are people in line for that position."

"Well, they made their decision."

"..You don't get it, Derek. There is an order, for Chief of Surgery? Webber, Bailey, and then Me. Then I choose who follows after me."

"I'm sorry." He said, placing his hands on the desk.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"What did you do to get this position ahead of Bailey and me."

"I told the Board about Webber's problems? That's all."

"His drink problem? Derek, that was years ago. He stopped after Adele found out about his affair he stopped drinking."

"Well, at some point he continued. In and Out of work hours."

"Webber wouldn't do that? I know him."

"He clipped a patient's bile duct. An hour later the patient was yellow."

Standing in the room, my body felt paralyzed. Like my shoes were glued to the ground, and my body was frozen. I could only see Derek walking up to me, and placing his hands on my shoulders.

"He's getting help, Elena. After that, I'll give him his job back."

Looking at him in the eyes, it was I could see myself right through him.