There Are Risks...

Holding my cup of coffee, I opened the door to my office where Minnick, Webber, and Bailey were sitting around a round table waiting for me.

"Good, you're here. What do you think about Josephine Wilson?" Minnick said as I sat between her and Bailey.

"Strong in ortho, plastics, and not a bad head for neuro, actually. Her outcomes are excellent." She added.

Flipping through her file, I take a sip of my coffee before signing her off.

"Yeah, she really rallied. She had a tough year personally." Richard whispered.

"Never would have known."

"Stephanie Edwards." Minnick continued to say.

"She's expressed a clear interest and talent for neuro. She could write whatever ticket she wants. She's a superstar."

"And very driven," I whispered.

"Yes, she will make us proud. Well, this is fun. Like a sorting hat." Bailey chuckled.

"Yep."

"Benjamin Warren." She said handing his file over to me.

Looking over his file, I glanced over at Minnick, who was giving us his feedback.

"Well, say what you want to say?" Bailey questioned.

"Warren's a utility player, good anywhere you put him."

"That's true," Richard added.

Feeling the awkward silence in the room, I looked over at Bailey who was practically glaring at Minnick as she wrote her notes down.

"He tends to play it safe. He goes for the easy cases, easy diagnosis. He lays back. No risks."

"Ben Warren? Have you seen his file?" I asked Minnick.

"He's made very risky moves. I've had to reprimand him myself."

"Of course I read his file. After a mistake like Warren makes, a resident goes one of two ways. He either plays it smarter or he plays it safer. Warren went safer. He may not even be aware it's happening. Moving on. Martin Carver." Minnick blurted out before going back to the files.

~

Stepping out of the room, Bailey rushes out of her office after Richard and Minnick left and calls out for me.

"Shepherd."

"Yeah," I said throwing my cup in the trash.

"About what Minnick said...do you agree with her? About Ben being safe?" She asked me.

Taking a deep breath, I slowly planned out what I wanted to say to her without sounding harsh.

"Ben...opened a patient's chest with a clipboard in the Psych Ward, then he opened a pregnant woman in the middle of the hall, which later died. He then saved my life, and my daughter's...he's taken more risks than anyone I know."

"You're not answering my question." She said.

"After everything, he's done, as one of his attending's...I would've wanted to see him play it smarter, not safer."

"But-"

"I'm not the person you should be asking these questions, you should talk to Jackson...he's his mentor. Has been for a really long time." I whispered before answering a page in peds.

"I have to go," I whispered.

Taking a step back, I glance over at Bailey, who stood in the middle of the hall.