The Feeling of Hope

4 DAYS LATER

"Elena? I'm coming in!" I hear Derek say.

"I'm almost done!"

Finishing my makeup, I finger comb my hair a little bit, before walking over to my bed and putting on my dress.

I put on a long sleeve black dress, with a black see-through mesh around my waist. The neckline covered just above my collar bone, as my hair covered the rest. It seemed appropriate as the dress ended 2 inches above my knee.

Sitting down on my bed, I reach down to the floor to find my black pointed toe pumps. Putting them on, I grab a necklace, before heading down the stairs.

"Meredith and everyone else is already at the cemetery," Derek says as he looks outside towards the backyard.

"Okay.."

Grabbing my tan trench coat, I grab my keys and purse before heading out the house with Derek.

"I heard the meeting with your lawyer didn't go so well.." Derek whispered as he turned into the cemetery.

"Her parents were there.."

"What?" Stopping the car in the middle of the road, he turns to look at me.

"Your father is coming?"

"With his wife."

"And you didn't even bother telling me this?"

"I've already settled it, Derek? He can't come anywhere near me, or you for the matter."

Holding the brake with his foot, he releases it and parks a block away from the entrance.

"You stay close to me." He says as he wraps his arm around mine.

Following the rocky pathway, there were two groups of people waiting and staring at two caskets.

Keeping their distance, I looked over at my father and his wife, alongside their friends and family.

"Hey," Meredith whispered to me.

"Hey, Elena," Alex says, placing his hand on my shoulder.

Standing beside Meredith and Derek, I saw Jackson from the corner of my eye, alongside Owen and Bailey.

Both Mark's and Lexie's caskets were black, with gold pipes along the sides. 

The priest had arrived before everyone, in order to set the podium up.

Introducing himself first, he then begins the ceremony.

"Let us commend Mark Everett Sloan and Alexandria Caroline Thomas to the mercy of God."

Staring at both of their caskets, he then reads a part of the old testament, before continuing on.

"We, therefore, commit Mark and Alexandria's body to the ground; earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust; in the sure and certain hope of the Resurrection to eternal life."

Slowly one by one, Derek and I walked to Mark's casket, laying a white rose.

"Goodbye Mark.." Derek whispers.

Bending down towards the black clear coated casket, I press my lips, before walking over to the other side.

Placing our white roses on Lexie's casket, my father came up to us abruptly.

"Laura."

Wrapping his arm around my chest, Derek pulls me behind him.

"You stay away from her." He hissed.