Wrapped Up In Chaos

A WEEK LATER

There are days when the world comes to develop the entire color spectrum of night, from the greys under the moon to every color of the rainbow and more. But today, a day where the sun is only seen as a mist, where the roads are quieter and crowded. We have fog, and so as it warms up, and the sun begins to burn brighter, the world will awaken. But as for right now, at 9:30 A.M with a fresh brewed cup of coffee in my hand and the sight of the hospitals front door in my view, I knew my world had never known of night.

It was a slow morning for most faculty as nurses had leaned back in their chairs, typing away on the computers as other personnel wandered the halls with a clipboard in hand. Patients who had known the layout of the hospital continued with their daily walks, waving and smiling at the residents who they came across with before disappearing around the corners. As for myself, I was not as calm as everyone. Eating away every second of my time, the thought of my resignation or even the feeling of my fingers typing on a computer sent shivers down my spine. The worst kind, mind you. The ones that ends with a prickling feeling at the tips of my fingers as I touched a key or clicked on the mousepad.

Keeping my mind occupied with patients and reading posters being displayed across the hospital, I had made my way throughout the halls without a single pause. And while coffee did help on occasion, its effects were only temporary and contradicting the way I wanted to calm myself down. Having made my way down the hall from the attendings lounge, I briefly glanced up from my phone as I turned the corner, moving a bit when I see three large men heading towards me.

"Good Morning, Dr. Shepherd." DeLuca mumbled quickly, as I stepped to the side.

"Good mor...DeLuca?"

Snapping my eyes up from my screen, I watched as the three men I had stepped to the side for dragged DeLuca in handcuffs around the corner before I chased after them, eventually standing in their way for the elevator.

"Excuse me, Ma'am." One officer blurted out.

"Why are you in handscuffs-, Why are you arresting one of my residents?"

"Ma'am, I'm not going to ask again-"

"Was I talking to you?" I blurted at the one standing behind DeLuca.

"What the hell is going on, Andrew?"

"Shepherd!"

Trying to hold my gaze on Andrew, I quickly looked behind him and the officer to find Bailey at the end of the hall.

"You have five seconds-"

"I committed fraud for a patient." DeLuca mumbled, snapping my eyes back at him.

"...what?"

"Elena, let the officers to their job!" Bailey yelled, grabbing my arms to let the officers guide DeLuca back down the hallway.

"I'm sorry, Dr. Shepherd!"

"Wh-what the hell did he mean by fraud, Bailey?"

Stepping away from her, I could see the frustration on her face as she clentched her hands together before nodding her head down the hall.

"I want answers, Bailey. DeLuca is my most promising resident, why the hell did he tell me that?"

"...then lower your voice." She pleaded.

"Why?"

"Because what I'm about to tell you might make you think otherwise."

Dragging me down to a quiet dark corner of the hallway, Bailey had rolled a large linen cart to cover us as a group of residents walked through the double doors.