Secrets & Lies

3 DAYS LATER

Walking into Bailey's office with Richard, Miranda was bent over searching for something on a bookshelf.

"Is it what I think it is?" Richard asked.

"Uh-huh. Just got the call. It's all coming here."

"Okay. How many are we looking at?" I asked her as she found the protocol book.

"Over 40. Where's the protocol for this?" She asked as she searched through the tabs.

"Bailey-"

"Got to be some guidelines."

"Look, it's your first crisis," Richard tells her.

"And Elena is taking it better than you are. You'll be fine."

"I know! As soon as I can find the-"

"Bailey, there's nothing you need in those binders. Okay, you just have to take things as they come. But you won't see then until they're right here," I say to her.

"You know what to do, and you have the best person by your side, helping you."

"If you're in control, they're in control."

Making his way out of the room, he stops at the door frame.

"Oh, and, uh, stand on the stairs when you talk to them. Makes them feel watched over."

"Is that why you did that?" I asked as the three of us left the office.

~

"Four crews of firefighters were trapped battling wildfires east of town. We have at least 40 injuries en route. I said we would take all of them." I said as I looked at the entire crowd of employees.

"40" We're gonna hit capacity, and-"

"We will take all of them," I say loudly, as I look sternly at Jackson.

"We're looking at second-, third,- and fourth-degree burns,  smoke inhalation, and some traumas. All non-critical...patients, um..."

Looking at Richard, he signals Bailey upward as the people in the back row are having trouble looking at  her.

"...Are being transferred to Seatle pres and Tacoma. This entire hospital is now a burn-treatment center. If you are a little rusty...plastics will be available for consult, but they will be in high demand and cannot be everywhere. If you need them..."

Glancing around at the crowd, I see Riggs comes from the elevator and joins the rest his co-workers when Hunt's eye meet mine.

"Residents, stay with your assigned attendings unless needed in the burn unit or in the pit. Uh, everyone who is on call has been called in. This is an all-hands-on-deck situation."

"Send the critical patients to the burn unit or the O.R., Dr. Avery and I are your point person on this, okay?" I say lastly, before Bailey, scrambles to open the book.

Blinking at Richard, he gives me the signal.

"That's it, people. Get to work." I blurt out as I hurried down the stairs before Jackson could have a chance to catch up to me.

Grabbing a yellow scrub gown from one of the carts in the E.R, I could feel Jackson staring at me from behind.

"I'll jump on triage and the big injuries."

"Elena-"

"You take any compromised airways."

"Stop running away from me." He said as I got into the elevator that led to the helicopter pad.