Time Stops

Standing in front of the O.R, I stare at the names from top to bottom. Meredith was just finishing up her surgery in O.R 2, when I wiped her name off the and wrote mine.

"Hey. Just finished my corpectomy. Did I miss it?" Amelia asked as she ran down the hall.

"No, You're good." Reaching for my phone, I held onto my scrub cap in the other.

"Wow. That was fast?" I whispered.

"What was fast?"

"Meredith put feelers with a real-estate agent about the house, and look slike she got an offer."

"She's selling the  house?" Amelia asked.

"No. I-I don't know. Maybe."

"Why do people constantly feel the need to kill their arteries?" Maggie asked as she walks up to the board.

"Uh, are they here yet? Oh, did I miss it? Tell me I didn't miss it?" Callie asked.

"Nope." I mouth to her.

"I almost forgot."

"I can't wait to see the beads of sweat of their freaked-out little faces." Callie joked.

"Oh, man. Did I miss it?" Alex questioned.

"Nope."

"Nope."

"I want to see someone crap. Actually Crap."

"Seen it, smelled it. Not as fun as you'd think."

"Ew, Callie," I say.

"It's happening! The baby chicks and ducks are here!" Arizona squeals with glee. 

Heading up to the gallery in a line, we find our seats just at the edge of a dark O.R.

"It's starting." Someone hissed.

Holding our breaths, the door leading into the O.R opens and a new group of Interns come rolling in, following Webber inside.

"Each of you today comes here hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school, being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors." Richard says as he glances around the faces of the new interns as they look around the room in awe.

"The five years you spend here as surgical residents will be the best and worst of your lives. They will-, You have a question?" Richard asked as one of the new interns raised her hand.

"Yes, why?"

"Uh, you raised your hand.

"No, I'm sorry. I mean why will these be the best and worst years of our lives?"

"Uh, I was getting to that."

"Sorry."

"Um, where was I? Oh, right."

"...You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition."

Mouthing the words that came out of Webber's mouth, it was each and every one of us were re-living our Intern year all over again.

"Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena."

"...How well you play...that's up to you."

"They look stupid," Alex says as we all looked down.

"They look like babies. Were we ever that young?" Meredith asked.

"Yes." I blurted out not realizing how monotoned I sounded.