The Art Of War

"According to this man's family, he was not a smoker. But the truth us, he smoked two packs a day in his car for 20 years while his wife and children slept. Sometimes the patient's shame is the elephant in the room. They try to hide it from us."

"...But you can't hide from a surgeon because the body doesn't lie. The truth is right here, for everyone to see."

Standing in front of a cadaver, the interns look at a pair of blacks lungs that once belonged to the man laying before me.

"Now, do any of you have any questions before rounds start?" I asked.

"No, Ma'am."

"Good. You guys may leave."

Rolling the cadaver back into the temperature kept room just down the hall, I bag up the black lungs before getting paged to the information desk of the 3rd floor.

~

"You called?" I said to Bailey as she held a cup of coffee in her hands.

"This is for you. Cappuccino, just how you like it?"

"How do you know my coffee order?" I asked.

"I asked the cart boy."

"You mean Paul?"

"Yeah. Look I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Can you walk and talk at the same time I have to see one of my patients before their craniotomy."

"Yeah, you go first."

Extending her hand out in front of me, I slowly walk down the hall with her standing beside me.

"As you know, transfer residents traditionally do their first rotation with the Chief of Neuro, which is you, and as you also know our newest transfer, Penelope Blake, is starting today." Stopping my tracks, Bailey turns herself around and stands in front of me.

"So...you understand how this...could have happened-"

"I'm not Chief of Neuro? Amelia is."

"I know that, but you have been Chief of Neuro for almost 10 years now."

"What is 'this?" I asked.

"Dr. Blake is at your service."

Rolling my eyes up to the ceiling, I take a deep breath.

"However, um, Dr. Webber has offered to take over. Or I can. You just say the word."

"I'll take Blake," I whispered. 

"You don't have to."

"I'm also Head Chief. It's the job."

"You sure?"

"Of course. I'll do it." I said as I walked past her and continued my way to the 7th floor.

Jackson's POV

"I did this case a year ago," I said out loud.

"Looks amazing," Ben whispered

We looked up at the screens in the lab room, analyzing the surgical procedures that I performed on patient's hand with growing tumors.

"And we're doing something like this again today?" He asked.

"Yeah. April's bringing in a kid from Jordan with Ollier's disease. You can see, these are the enchondromas."

"Cartilaginous tumors. They grow from the growth plates, right?"

"Exactly. Which is why you're gonna want to do a wide local excision, expose the bone so I can get in there can reconstruct the hand-"