Winter Song

GAME DAY

"Hey, you planning to grab something to eat before the game?" Callie asked me.

Seeing without her baby bump was weirder than normal, now that Sofia is 3 months old. While I was on my only day off a few weeks ago, when Jackson took me on a 24 hour date. Callie was in a horrific accident with a Semi-truck. Arizona, Callie and the baby weren't badly hurt, but Callie did suffer a lot.

"Yeah, I was thinking Torchy's," I said, as I handed a file back to one of the Nurses.

"Oh, I heard that place is so good! They have the best tacos in Seattle."

"They came from Texas, so yeah, they better be good," I added as the both of us walked beside each other to the Attending's lounge.

"Can I ask you something?" Callie says as we enter the elevator alone.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Is everything alright with you and Jackson?"

Curious, I think back to Catherine and dinner a few nights ago. And her 20 question game.

"Why would you say that?"

"I don't know? It seems like you've gotten distant lately?"

"Well, I have my clinical trial? Nominations are in a few weeks, and not only that Mark has me as his Plastics consult."

"Yeah, I heard."

"Plus, Derek also wants us to do more surgeries together, now that I'm focusing of Neuro and Cardio for a few months."

"Oh yeah, I forgot. His Alzheimer's trial with Meredith."

Still talking about work and our patients, Callie changes the subject.

"So, You and Mark alright now?"

"Yeah, actually we're better than we were before? But there's nothing there.."

Seeing as her eyes shift from mine to the elevator lights above us, the doors open and Jackson and Mark walk inside.

"Well, hello?" Mark says as he greets the both of us.

"Hey, Mark. We were just talking about the both of you." Callie says as Jackson kisses the side of my cheek.

"Really, I hope it's a good thing."

"We were talking about how Elena's your Plastics consult?"

"Oh yeah, well I need a fresh new pair of eyes. Elena knows how I work, I wouldn't want to work with anyone else. Except Avery here. He's the best damn Resident I can ask for." Mark says, as he wraps his arm around him.

"In a few months he'll be taking his Boards in L.A, and then we'll be a Plastics Posse."

"Oh, please don't.." Jackson whispers, as his eyes shyly look up to mine.

"Well, good luck with that." Callie and I say as the elevator doors open.

"Where are you going?"

"Get some food before the game?" I said.

"And no invite?"

"..Yeah." Callie blurts out.

"See ya boys."

~

"One Baja Shrimp tacos, and One green chile pork." The waiter said as he dropped off our food.

"Oh, this smells so good!"

Taking a bite of my first taco, the tanginess of the shrimp with the pico de gallo just set the entire meal at ease.

"I'm glad we didn't bring the boys, because I wouldn't be able to eat like this."Callie joked, as she tried to take a big bite of hers.