Welcome to Philidelphia

Leaning against the kitchen counter, I held my mug close to my chest allowing the hot steam from my coffee to seep into my clothes. Without any creamer and sugar, I enjoyed my bitter cup alone in the kitchen until I heard Jackson's footsteps come up behind me.

"Good morning." He said, kissing my shoulder.

"Morning, Coffee's bitter..."

"There's no creamer?" He asked, looking through the fridge.

"Hmm."

Silently watching him, I couldn't help but think back to last night. Hearing the cracks in my voice in my head, the same painful feeling crawled back up my throat. Even with the coffee, the pain and the bitter taste stayed behind.

"Are you alright?" 

"Yeah, just thinking..." I whispered, taking another sip.

"About?"

Coming towards me, I straighten myself up, turning around to place my mug on the counter.

"You promised, no secrets-"

"I know. I'm just thinking about last night." I mumbled, nervously looking up at him.

"We said everything that needed to be said...is there more?"

"You never...you never answered my question."

"Question?" He asked,  resting his elbows on the table.

Hesitant, I poured the rest of my now cold coffee down the drain, washing it quickly.

"Do you...do you blame me?"

"Elle..." He gasped, standing up taller, before slowly pulling me closer to him.

"...no, I don't blame you. For anything."

Cradling my head in his hands, he rubs my back softly warming my skin. He was so warm and broad that I felt completely I just wanted to stay there forever.

Nodding my head against his chest, I sighed deeply when the doorbell rang suddenly startling both of us.

"I think that's my cab..." I whispered.

Grabbing my purse and luggage, Jackson walked me over to the door as my driver stood outside dressed in all black before I even noticed the dark-tinted SUV in the back.

"I thought we were going to be subtle," I said to Jackson, handing off my luggage to the driver.

"This is subtle...unless you want bodyguards."

"Nope, I think I'm good. I'll call you when I arrive?" I smiled at him.

"Yeah..." Noticing the reassuring look on his face, I reached over for his hand, engulfing my small hands around.

"It's two weeks...I'll be fine."

"I know you'll be, it's just...I don't want the trail-"

"I'm not just going for the trail, Annalise needs me for a case of hers. I'll be teaching classes with her, I'll be occupied, I promise."

Kissing him goodbye, I caressed his cheek one last time before heading into the SUV. Buckling myself up, I smiled at Jackson through the window, waving back at me as he closed the front door and we slowly drove away. 

"To the airport, Ma'am?" The driver asked.

"Yes. Take your time, my flight isn't until 1."

"Of course."

Enjoying the cold air circulating in the car, I rested my head back counting every red car in traffic as we took the freeway joining the rest of the other thousands trying to get to work.