Heaven's Newest Angel

CAUTION: This chapter does have graphic details and mentioning of violent pasts. 

Hunched over the edge of the bed, staring at the corner of the nightstand, I felt Jackson's hand creep up behind my shoulder, shooting a surge of electricity down the side of my arm. Startled, I let the phone slip between my fingers and fall from the bed and slam onto the floor. 

"Elle-"

Snapping my head back, I caught glimpses of Jackson's stare like a camera flashing in my eyes. But in a matter of seconds, I was staring at the other side of the room when Jackson pushed himself up from his side of the bed and jumped over my legs for the phone.

'Elena? Hello?'

"Sorry, she's...what's going on?" Jackson mumbled, turning his back to me.

Staring at the smallest part of Jackson's back, I couldn't help but clench my hands onto the sheets, feeling as if my body was beginning to sink down beneath the bedding and the box spring. The darkness of the room had become so overwhelming that I lost sight of Jackson and anything in front of me for what seemed like forever.  

"Are you sure?" I heard Jackson's voice.

Using my hands, I reached around feeling the sheets against my fingertips as my eyes were still blinded by the darkness of the room. I could imagine the look on Jackson's face just by the sound of his voice, trembling and breathy, I already knew he was worried.

"Alright...I'll make arrangements."

Pulling at my arm, my fingers crawled their way up to my neck, as I slowly leaned back until my shoulders rested against the bed. It was an odd feeling, sitting there and hearing Miller's voice repeat words that I never thought would be repeated again. There was no anger, nor sadness dwelling over me as I laid there now staring at the ceiling, it was just me.

"Elena?"

Forcing my eyes to tear themselves from the ceiling, Jackson's hands found their way to my cheeks, caressing his thumb against my skin until the dark shadows vanished.

"I...I can't-"

"Shh, it's okay." Jackson gasped.

It was silent between the two of us. No one said a word, no one cried, it was just empty. And though I don't want to cry nor feel the need to, I still felt something.

"Are you okay?"

"...what did he say?" I whispered.

"Miller can wait, Elle-"

"Jackson..."

Taking in a deep breath, he kneeled down the side of the bed, wrapping me deep in the blanket.

"...Miller is meeting with Wilson and Annelise tomorrow morning. He wants you to be there to identify the body-, now if you don't want to go, I understand."

"I have to go..." 

"You don't...he's your father, it's fine if-"

"He's Leo, Jackson..."

Nodding his head, he continued caressing the side of my cheek until I pulled away and sat up from the bed.

"...we can talk about it in the morning." He added.

"We won't have time."

"Elle, Leo is dead...there's no need to rush."

"Leo is a burden...and he's been one since I've left. I want to let go."