Something Against You

THE NEXT DAY

Afternoon.

Slowly and carefully unwrapping Kamal's hands from the gauze we put on his after the surgery, Jackson and I tend to the stitches and apply some vaseline so they could dissolve easier in the next for days.

Lifting up his right hand, Kamal is left in utter shock. Nathan and April stood at the edge of his bed as we all watched his reaction.

"They look like hands." Kamal whispers.

"They are," Nathan adds as he holds onto Kamal's leg.

"They're your hands, bud."

"They're real hands!" Kamal's smiles.

"I can hold a ball."

"Yeah. Take a little bit of time, a few more surgeries, but yes." Jackson whispered.

"What did we tell you? He's not just 'The guy'...they both are." Nathan says as he looks over at Jackson and I.

"You are the guy," Kamal says as he holds up his hand and Jackson and I give him a very careful high-five.

"Aww."

Looking up at Jackson, we both gaze at ourselves, before smiling.

~

Taking out my purse, Jackson came into the attendings lounge with Theo in his arms.

"Mam!" He yelled.

"Hey, Bud! How was your day?" I asked.

"Good! I played with Sofia, and then we went to go eat lunch with Arizona and Callie."

"Wow, you had a big day, didn't you?"

"Of course I did."

Walking down the hall together, we get in the elevator and enjoy the 4 flight ride.

"What are we going to eat?" Theo asked as we stepped out of the elevator.

"We are getting Chinese? How does that sound?" Jackson added.

"That sounds so good!"

Turning the corner, I see April walking down the hall with Nathan.

"Oh, hey guys," Nathan said as we stopped right in front of the main door.

"Hey," I whispered.

Sharing very awkward eye contact with April, Nathan and Theo were enjoying a very humorous conversation from th sound of it.

"Are you guys going home?" April asked with a high voice.

"We're going to go eat, actually," Jackson said as he held onto Theo.

"Oh, where?"

"Mama Fu's. It's mine and Elena's favorite place to it."

"Really? I didn't know you liked Chinese?"

"Well, there are a lot of things you don't know about me, April." Jackson hissed.

"Guys, there's a child," Nathan whispered.

"He can manage," I added.

"He is my son, after all."

"Of course he is, he's smart and... Machiavellian, just like his mother." April hissed before grabbing Nathan's arm and heading out the door.

"What was that about?" Jackson asked.

"Don't worry. She's had a long day, we all have.

Ordering our food at Mama Fu's, Jackson and I start talking about Kamal's future procedures. But then somehow ended up talking about buying houses, and whether we should get another dog for Tobes.