Unexplainable Lies

WARNING: THERE ARE CONVERSATIONS INVOLVING SEXUAL ASSAULT.

2 DAYS LATER

"And here is your suite..." The concierge said, sliding the key card.

"How long are we staying here, Elle?"

Wrapping her hand around my forearm, I placed mine on top of my mother's hand comforting for as the concierge held the door open for her.

"Welcome."

"You first..." I whispered, giving her a little push towards the door.

Watching her peak her head around the corner, I slide off my purse and coat when I catch her still standing in the middle of the doorway. Shocked at the sight oft he room, her eyes immediately lit up from the reflection of the sun coming into the room.

"Do you like it?" I asked her closing in behind her.

"Elena...I..."

Carefully holding herself against the white molded walls, she stared up at the crystal chandelier hanging in the middle of the 15-foot ceiling living room. Furnished with warm and modest couches, the contrast between both light and dark colors immediately brought a comfortable feeling once you've stepped into the middle of the suite.

"There is a complimentary chef on hand if you have any dietary restrictions..."

"...when does the housekeeper come by?" I asked casually, allowing my mother to roam around the suite.

"They start their days around 7:30 in the morning."

"Great..."

Placing my hands on the back of the couch, I glanced around the room noticing some stairs off to my right, while my mother wandered into the kitchen, losing herself in the new appliances and the countertops. Slowly, I made my way to the edge of the room, staring out the window at the view of downtown Philly. Practically invisible to the naked eye, cars took the shape of ants and people in shapes of large clusters of atoms from where the suite was placed.

"The view is beautiful, isn't it? Many of our high-end guests prefer this room rather than the lake view." Our concierge said.

"I can see why..."

"If you need anything, feel free to call downstairs."

"Thank you so much." I sighed, caress the side of my arms.

Waiting for them to close the door, I noticed the amount of silence in the room.

"Mom?" I called out.

Quietly heading my way to the kitchen, I found her holding onto the top cabinet handles, staring inside the empty box.

"Mom?"

"What do you think?" I asked, making my way over to her.

"Elena...this...this is too much. I'm only staying her-"

"For the trial, I know...but I figured Annelise's home would be too much of a hassle for her, especially with the two of us there."

"...I would've been fine at a smaller hotel, not with..."

"A beautiful view?" I chuckled, trying to get her to look up at me.

"A gorgeous kitchen."

"...this is too much, you're paying too much-"

"It's already paid for...don't worry."

"By who?" She asked, just when the door to the suite opened, alerting us by an in-house security system.