Highs & Lows

Jackson's POV

Standing beside Meghan's bed, I pulled her stitches a few at a time, when she hits my arm.

"Watch it, Avery." She hissed from the pain.

"Pain is a great sign. Your nerves are regenerating and forming connections to the graft. I don't see any sign of rejection from your biopsy, I mean you are recovering much faster than we hoped." I whispered, looking over at Hunt, who was sitting at the edge of her bed.

"So, I can get out of here soon. We need to email my CO about transport." Meghan said to Hunt.

"Okay, slow down. We need to check for infection and do physical therapy."

Hearing the door open, Bailey walks inside with her phone in her hand, as overly dressed.

"He will be in the lobby in 15 minutes," Bailey whispered.

"I told you, my grandfather doesn't like crowds."

"And I told you to be there anyway. Elena's on her way." Bailey hissed before shutting the door.

~

Running down the main stairs, I see all of the department heads standing around the lobby, including Bailey who was sparatic as people were just walking by.

"Sorry, I'm late," I said.

Stepping down to the last step, Maggie turns around to face me.

"Oh, let me help you with that." She said.

Standing still, she fixes the collar on my lab coat, slowly trailing her hands down the top of my chest.

"Thanks..." I whispered, walking right past her.

"Avery! Where's Shepherd?" Bailey asked.

"Probably working...like we should be doing," I whispered.

"15.8 million dollars to repair-"

"Insurance covered for most of that." I heard my mother say, as my grandfather walked beside her.

"Most is not all." He hissed.

"We took the opportunity of the fire to address some design elements that needed updating."

"Design elements?"

"Yes."

Watching as Bailey, ran around, telling people to get up from their seats as Bailey stood in the middle of us, I looked around to see if Elena was coming.

"Hello, Dr. Avery. I'm Cheif Miranda-"

"Bailey, I remember you. What is this? Window dressing. Don't you people have jobs to do." My grandfather said before striding out of the room.

Seeing as Bailey turned around to find me, I tilt my head to the side and smirk at Bailey.

"He doesn't like crowds." She hissed before following them.

"Nope."

Elena's POV

Walking out of the elevator, I headed down the hall before walking through the nurse's office, to a room just across the hall.

"Hey, there." I chuckled leaning back on the glass door.

"Nice to see you, Elena." Walter chuckled.

"Now you're the one who needs the tape and glue guy, huh?"

"What's with the...um, heels? I've never seen you dressed like that?" Walter said.