Plan B

Stepping out of the shower, droplets of water scattered down the mirror as I wrapped one of the hotel towels around myself, grabbing my clothes from the floor. 

Theo was still asleep in our bed when the hotel phone started ringing abruptly, waking him up.

"Hello?" I whispered, holding the phone close to my mouth as I smoothed Theo back to sleep.

'Good Morning, Mrs. Avery. We were sent to call you as an alarm today.' The female receptionist said.

"Oh...um, thank you."

'You have a good day now.'

"Are we going home now?" Theo said, rubbing his eyes.

"Well, I have work in about two hours, but you have the entire day with Charlotte and Mason."

"You're not going to be with us?" He sighed.

"No, babe. I have surgery today..."

"What about dad?" He asked, sitting up against the wall.

"He's...gonna be at work too. Why do you ask?"

"Because maybe he can get you both the day off."

Licking my lips, I brush Theo's hair to the side, fixing the baby hairs around his forehead.

"Look...you're going to have a lot of fun with Mason. Charlotte is gonna take you to the water park, and then get some food after."

"And then we can go home?" He asked hesitantly.

"...we'll see. Come on, go shower so we can eat breakfast."

Pulling the covers off for him, he grabbed the extra towel sitting on the chair before locking the door to the bathroom. 

"Make sure you wash between the cracks!" I blurted out, hearing the water running.

"Mom!"

Holding the towel close to my chest, I reached over and grabbed a pair of jeans and a long white sleeve shirt before kicking my heels out from under the bed.

The air conditioner had kicked in by the time I started to dry my hair, and Theo's trembling body walked out from the bathroom.

"What are you going to wear today?" I asked, watching him waddle back into bed.

"S-s-something...w-warm. Please."

Chuckling softly, I grabbed the pair of blue jeans and a shirt sleeve that Jackson had bought him a few days ago.

"Your shoes are under the bed, don't forget."

Grabbing my purse and bag, I watched Theo finish tying his shoes before heading down the hallway where Charlotte and Mason waited for us near the elevator.

"Morning." She said.

"Good Morning."

"Rough night?" She asked, nodding her head towards Theo and Mason as they laughed quietly among themselves.

"No, actually...he's just...being Theo, I guess?"

"You mean asking questions?"

"Yeah..." I sighed.

"I wonder where he gets that from?"

Glaring at Charlotte, the four of us headed down the elevator to the open breakfast bar in the lobby as I hear the three of them plan out their day.

"And then we can watch the Black Panther!"

"Do you think they'll have the 3D glasses!" Mason blurted out.