Some Pain Cannot Heal

Parked in front of Green Lake, I sit in my car as I look at the Seattle skyline. The buildings lighting up, the cars passing by. People ran down the streets trying to find cover from the rain, while others enjoyed getting soaked. 

I glanced up at the sky as the clouds were getting darker, and the moon was now hidden behind the white mist. River of Tears started playing on the radio, the piano in the sound mimicked what the rain would sound like if sound played it. The high notes, synchronizing with the low bass notes. 

Turning my head to my window, I see the rain trickled down, and connect with another drop. Focusing on the trees beside my car, I see a bridge. The only bridge that connects to the city and the other side of the town. Opening my car door, I take a step outside. My pants get spotted by the rain before they spot the rest of my clothes. 

As the cold water ran down my arms and the sides of my face, I brought my hand out in front of me and watched as my palms collected water before seeping between my fingers. As the rain comes down harder, the small thumps begin to echo in my head. And before I knew it, it consumed my thoughts. I ran down the small hill, before running down below the bridge.

Standing underneath, the sound of the rain hitting the ground went mute. It was like I was standing in a windowed room, where I could only see but not hear. The thumps were now silent, as the water underneath me was still. And just for that second, I felt at peace. Nothing troubled me, no one bothered me. I felt in control with my surroundings.

Sitting down on the dry cement, I enjoyed the last few minutes of the rain when Derek calls my cell phone.

"Where are you?" He asked.

"I took a walk, why?"

Hearing people in the background whisper, the silence around me roared, breaking the seal.

"Are you at work?" He asked.

"No, I left. What's going on Derek?"

"Mark called me said you were mad..are you okay?"

Hearing his last few words, I glanced around the lake continuing to watch the rain fall.

"I sitting underneath a bridge, soaking wet," I say to him.

"How long?"

"A few hours maybe.."

"You want me to pick you up?"

Getting up from the cement, I hunch a little as I looked down at the water.

"No, I'll be at dad's house," I said.

"Okay, well call me when you get there." 

"Bye, love you."

"Love you." He whispers.

Putting my back into my jacket, I take one last glance at the lake before running back to my car.

Finally making it down the street from my house, I reach up and press the garage doors open, before parking inside.

Grabbing my bag, I see some of my dad's briefcase sitting on top of his garage counters through the window. 

The brown leather case was already worn out, including the engraving my mother had made near the lock.

Opening the house door, I threw my bag on the counter before turning on the lights.

"Hey boy." Kneeling on the ground, Toby hopped off the couch before running to me.

"You hungry?" I asked him, walking over to the kitchen.

Turning the pantry knob, I pull down a dog bone from the counter and a bag of chips.