Prologue: 10 Years Ago

March 13, 2005...

Stepping out of the taxi, I slowly glanced up at the 2-story house in front of me. White paneling lined around the house, as the windows, painted in black frames were perfectly matched with the second floor. Two balconies were built on both sides of the house, neatly decorated with vines growing along the house walls.

"Where would you like your bag, Ms. Shepherd." The driver asked me.

"By the door is fine, thank you."

Taking in the view, I noticed the flowers around the front of the house were nicely taken care of, as freshly potted trees were planted.

"Excuse me," I asked the driver.

"Yes?"

"Have people been staying here?"

"No, Ma'am. But the owner hired grounds people to take care of the garden for the time being."

Nodding my head, I headed up the steps to the dark wooden door where I could see the inside of the house.

"Is there anything else?" He asked.

"No, thank you."

Pulling out a hundred dollar bill, we say goodbye to each other.

Hearing the sound of nails dragging across the wooden floor, Toby ran into the foyer with his tail wagging around.

"Already marked your territory, haven't you?" I said to him, as he barked quietly.

Dropping the house keys on the table beside me, I followed Toby into the living room. Pieces of furniture were covered in white sheets, the rugs had been rolled up at stacked up against the wall near the fireplace. The TV was still hooked up to the wall, covered in dust and webs.

Everything felt airy as if a muffled sound seeped into the walls and disbursed into gray clouds of nothing.

Heading into the kitchen, the gray granite counters were covered in dust and the appliances were ripped out from their places. Cabinets were empty, except for one near the fridge. A single bowl, a glass cup, and two pieces of silverware were all that was left.

The windows leading out towards the porch were dark as if someone was rubbed dirt all over.

"...Jesus..." I whispered, slowly heading out of the kitchen and up the 'L' shaped stairs that were built right around the corner from the Foyers entrance.

Once up the stairs, every single door was closed leading down the left side. Glancing down the other side, three more rooms followed after, including the master bedroom.

A Canopy bed frame leaned against the right side of the master bed room, two wooden end-tables on each side with books and journals. The closet was on one-half of the room, which went in about 20 feet, while the bathroom was on the other side holding a shower, two sinks, an angled bathtub and a toilet in the corner with its own room.

Wrapping my hand around the wooden canopy bean, I felt the carving underneath my skin. Sitting on the draped bed, I looked over and grabbed the journals sitting on the table.

'E.C.S.' 

Was engraved in the right-hand corner on the black leather book as a thin strip wrapped around holding the loose pieces of paper together.

Feeling Toby lick my fingers, tears started to form in my eyes making it hard to see right in front of me.

This has his house.

This abandoned house with old furniture and vintage bed frames, it's just like how he left it a year ago. This house meant nothing to mother except for a place to hide away from work. But to me, this was now my home for however long I planned on staying here.