Start Again

"So you have never had a New York-style Pizza?" I asked Ethan, as we entered my favorite pizza parlor near Times Square.

The Nominations had finished just before 12 in the morning, and everyone was pretty wasted from the very expensive wine. 

We managed to get out earlier to changed out of our clothes, before meeting just a few blocks away from the empire state building.

"If you should know I've been very active in differentiating my body from how I was before," Ethan whispers, as he opens the door for me.

"Well, you travel all over the world.."

"But just never to the United States."

Sitting near a window, I have my back towards a wall full of twinkling lights.

"You know, for a pizza parlor, this is pretty romantic for a subtle date?" He says, looking at the menu.

"Don't get so ahead of yourself here, I've just met you. And I haven't seen you in like 6 years? How did you manage to stay quite for so long?"

"Well, after Med School, I went back home. I finished my internship, my five years of residency, and now I'm an attending. A World Renowned Surgeon to be exact. I'm head of Neuro."

"You went back to school?"

"At Cambridge. And then I was given an offer to study in Germany for a few months before I transferred to Oxford."

"Oxford, woah.."

"Yeah, the exact same words my fiancee told me."

"Fiancee? You're getting married.."

"I was going to be, she left me for another man. He was an entrepreneur, great with businesses, and traveled a lot. She wanted to see the world, but I couldn't give her that."

"I'm so sorry.." I whispered, feeling guilty as I look down at my hands. 

"Me too. At lest I don't have her breathing down my neck, asking me who I'm working with? Or who's my new assistant?"

"She had you on a leash." I joked as I take a sip of my water.

"Sort of?"

"Hello, my name is Enzo. What can I get you guys tonight?"

"Um, how about a medium deep dish Pepperoni with Jalapenos?" Ethan orders for us.

"Okay, coming right up?"

"You still-"

"I'm sorry, are you Vegetarian?"

"No, I'm just amazed that you still remember my favorite type of pizza?"

"We studied together almost every day, for 4 hours? Of course, I still remember your favorite pizza."

Continuing to ask him about his life back in England, he tells me about his time working for the humane society and helping sick children in Uganda.

"But, enough about me. How's life in Seattle?"

"Rainy. Cold. Pretty much sums it up."

"Oh, come on. You move across the country, to a rainy, cold state, and don't have anything to tell me?"

"I work for Seattle Grace, as the Head of Neuro."

"Impressive. Any plans on being the Chief?"

"Oh, absolutely," I say, swallowing my coke before answering him.

"I could see it. You as Chief, ordering everyone around. You'd make a great leader."

"Well, not just yet. I have one person in front of me, for that same position."