Death Takes Numbers

3 DAYS LATER...

"Jackson, I'm Leaving!" I yell from the first floor of my house. 

I had already fed Toby and ate breakfast, which is something that I never get to do. My files were signed and ready to turn into Derek, but for some reason, I had this uneven feeling in my stomach. Like I shouldn't be going to work, and stay here at home.

"I'll see you for lunch?" Jackson says as he comes around the corner.

"I thought you were-"

"I took a run." He said, mildly gasping for air.

"Oh, yeah I'm good for lunch," I said, scrambling to get my keys.

"You okay?"

"I don't know? Yesterday when I went to work, I didn't see Derek all day?" I asked, as my voice grew concern.

"Maybe his case with Gary Clark is more serious than we thought."

"Maybe? I'll see you at lunch." I say, kissing his lips before opening and closing the door.

~

"Dr. Shepherd. Dr. Sloan asks for your consult." Reed said as she comes up behind me.

"..Great," I whisper as I hand back my file to the Nurse-on-call.

"Tell Dr.Sloan, I'll be right there."

Walking away from the desk, I take the spiral stairs to the elevator.

"Dr. Shepherd, have you seen Chief Shepherd?" Kepner asked awkwardly.

"No, I haven't. Why?" I said as I let out a sigh.

"I can't find him anywhere, and the last time I checked, he had a meeting at 11:30, and it's 11:50 and he needs to be at the press conference at Seattle Presbyterian."

"April, I don't know where my brother is. And even if I did, I don't care." Turning around, I make my way to the elevator.

"Are you Dr. Shepherd?" I am asked, as I stood beside him inside the elevator.

"Yes. I am." I asked as I looked up from my pager.

"You're a Neurosurgeon, right?"

"Yes, I am. Can I help you with anything?"

Seeing as his eyes were stiff, they relaxed when I asked him if he needed help.

"If a patient had Brain Cancer, and she was taken off of life support. Could she possibly wake up?" He asked.

"It would all depend. Was there Brain activity?"

Shaking his head, I hesitate to give him an answer.

"Well, some patients to make remarkable recoveries. I had a patient, who was in a coma for 3 years before he woke up. He had a tumor in his left hemorrhage."

"So, it's possible?"

Hearing the doors open, I take a step between the elevator and the door.

"We can only hope...sometimes being with the people we love brings back activity in the brain, resulting from memories they once shared."

"Thank You, Dr. Shepherd."

"No problem, I hope what ever you're going through gets easier," I say, before leaving him inside.

Turning some corners, I entered my consult's room just as Sloan was introducing himself and Charles.

"And this is Dr. Shepherd." He said as I stood a few feet away from him.