Choose To Keep Going

Handing off my tablet to a Resident, I entered the E.R. room when I hear that a Neuro consult is needed outside.

"I'm on it!" I yelled.

Grabbing a yellow gown, I tied it around me as I followed Edwards and DeLuca outside.

"E.T. in less than a minute." I heard Owen say as Amelia was walking in front of me.

"I didn't know you were back." He said to her.

"They said one of the patients had syncope, you'll need a Neuro consult."

"Oh, I was...I thought I was going to do since you weren't back yet?" I questioned standing behind the both of them.

"But since you're here, I'll go..."

"No, Elena. Stay." Amelia said.

"Okay..."

Watching as the ambulance drove down the street, it parked in front of us before opening its doors.

"What do we have?" I asked.

"Elsie Clatch. 95. Fainted while hiking, but now GCS is 15. Vitals are stable."

"Okay, let's get her into Trauma 3."

"Gently, gently. She's been injured." Her husband said as he stood next to her.

"Please, Lewis. All this fuss."

"Hiking?" Edwards asked.

"How do you think I made it to 95?"

"Alert and Oriented, times 3."

"Sir, did you injure your wrist?" DeLuca asked.

"Let's get them inside, DeLuca check him," I ordered.

"No, it's fine-"

"He fell too. Wouldn't let go of my hand."

"No reason to take a chance, sir."

~

Once inside, Amelia and I checked her Neuro reactions, while Edwards and DeLuca started to hook up Elsie on the monitors.

"Her syncopal episode lasted at least 60 seconds," Lewis said.

"Oh, someone's been watching their medical shows, sir."

"Edwards." I blurted out quietly.

"He's not gonna like that," Elsie whispered.

"I'm a cardiothoracic surgeon." He said as Edwards makes a weird face and Amelia and I smirk at each other.

"Don't be prosperous, you were a surgeon. They're surgeons now."

"You'll need a head CT."

"Still, we'll like to rule out other injuries," Owen added as he came into the room.

"Oh, it's nothing. I just got a little dizzy, that's all."

"You don't know it's nothing."

"I know as much as you do," Elsie said as I examined her pupils.

"I feel down. I'm old. I'm allowed."

"You'll need an EKG, and labs, with cardiac enzymes."

Glancing over at him, I could see the look on everyone's faces from the order Lewis gave.

"You heard the man," Owen said as he smacked DeLuca's arm.

Jackson's POV

Pulling out a long strip of white paper from the top of the examining table, I tucked it under before I glanced up at Maggie's mom.