Hope

"And the winner of the Cardiothoracic Harper Avery Award this year is..."

Holding Ethan's hand he guides me to our table near the front of the stage, where Jackson, April, Catherine, and Webber were sitting at.

"Sorry, did we miss anything?" I asked Webber.

"No, but Ethan was..."

Smoothing out my dress I sit next to Webber and Ethan.

Twinkling lights dangled just above our heads, leading their way to the stage where they wrapped around a beautiful chandelier in the center of the room. Huge arrangements of roses and flowers decorated the grand hall, along with leaves and dried up tree barks scattered around the hall.

Feeling Ethan's hand tighten around mine, the shakiness in his hands vibrated all along my arm.

"You alright?" I asked as he couldn't help but stare at the announcer and the letter in his hand.

"What if-"

"You will," I whisper turning around to face him I place my hand on his cheek.

"Dr. Ethan King. World Renowned Surgeon for Cardiothoracic Surgery."

"Oh, my God." He blurted out.

Standing up from our table everyone around us claps their hands, and smiled at Ethan.

"Thank you, love..." He whispered as he kissed my lips before heading up the stage.

"You did all yourself," I said as our hands parted ways when he walked up to the announcer.

Clapping my hands together, Webber turns around to wink at me for good luck.

"Oh, this is...something else.." Ethan joked holding the gold statue in his hands.

"You know, I never thought I would make it up here again. I had just won my 1st Harper Avery a few years back, and when I recovered from my victory...something happened to me? It happens to all of us Doctors who have been doing this for a very long time. We lost Hope."

Taking a deep breath, I glance down at the floor of the stage, before slowly glancing behind me to see Jackson gazing at me.

April had tightly wrapped her arms around his, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"That was until I came to Seattle, I reconnected with an old friend. She has inspired me in everything, even though she is a few years younger than I am. She showed me that there is more than a trophy to work for...Hope. Hope that my patient will live to see another day, for me to see then live their life because of me."

Turning my head back to the front of the room, I could feel everyone's eyes gaze over to our table.

"I would like to thank my parents, my teachers, and friends...my patients for letting me do the impossible on the inoperable. And lastly, Elena Shepherd. For being my rock...and the love of my life...I love you.." He says through the mic.

"Thank you to the Harper Avery foundation for everything.."

After his speech, the crowd around us goes wild as he makes his way back over to me and plants a kiss on my lips.

His hand press against my back, pushing my against his chest he finally let us go. 

"What was that for?" I whisper.

"For believing in me..."

Fluttering my eyelashes, the mic sounds again as the announcer was back up to the mic.

"Great speech, Dr. King. Including a surprising kiss a the end..."

Sitting back down, he places the award on the table.