Everything's At Stake

Standing beside the O.R board, I typed up my patient's record on the computer when I overheard Richard speaking to Bailey.

"Mattresses?" Bailey questioned.

"Yes. You need to replace every mattress in every on-call room. Unacceptable."

"He's not wrong?" I added.

"Thank you. These mattresses are lumpy. They're misshapen, zero lumbar support. Our surgeons need solid rest, not spinal damage."

"Noted," Bailey whispered as she looked down on the request form.

"You might want to tell Dr. Webber that if he wants to sleep soundly, he should come home and sleep next to his bride."

Glancing over at the three of them, Catherine smiles over at me before walking away calmly.

"Uh, I'll take this under advisement."

"New Mattresses!"

After Bailey left, I casually walked over to Richard.

"You okay?"

"No. My back hurts. Oh, and there's nothing like having your dirty laundry aired for everyone to see."

"One of the cons when it comes to marrying into the Avery Family, I've seen and learned," I whispered.

"At least you still have time to run."

"I'm not going to run, Richard. I have a daughter with an Avery, that's forever going to follow me." I chuckled.

"Well, as long as Minnick's here, it gonna stay bad for both of us. I still don't know what to do...except give up and give in."

"No, Richard? Everyone's behind us on this."

"Everyone was behind us on this. The longer Minnick's here, the more people like her. And the more people like here, then-"

"Well, I'm behind you. I'll always be, you know that. Look. why don't you stay at our house? I have a guest room, it's got a very good mattress."

"It'll be fine, Shepherd." He whispered.

"You can spend more time with your grandkids," I smirked.

Curiously looking up at me, he smiled before he shook his head.

"Thank you for sticking with me."

"You've stuck up for me in everything. It's time I return the favor..."

~

Standing on the second floor of the hospital, which overlooked to the first floor and the main entrance to Thomas-Sloan. Grey, Pierce, Robbins, and I all stood in front of Jackson as he whispered to us.

"We're losing ground here. Everybody loves Minnick."

"I wouldn't say that. I mean, who said that?" Robbins blurted out.

"And now Meredith."

"I stood up for him and got suspended."

"Yeah, and now you're back. You rolled over."

"Because he told me to come back."

"That's not what it looks like, all right?" Jackson blurted out.

"You weakened our position here."

"Well, we don't have a position if he is asking us to stop."

"Meredith has a point," Robbins added.

"The problem isn't Minnick. The problem is that her program is good, and now everyone knows it, including Richard."

"You guys are unbelievable. You're just gonna abandon him now?"