The Distance

Walking out of the elevator, there was a crowd of people flowing down the halls towards the Auditorium.

"Where is everyone going?" I asked out loud.

"Amelia conference...you coming?" Jackson asked as I stepped out of the crowd.

"Um...I actually have to got check up on Herman..."

"Come on, this will ease you up. Maybe check out your competition."

"Are you doubting me, now?" I say as he places his hand on the small part of my back, guiding me to the overflowing crowd.

"No, I just think a good competition is necessary."

"Trust me, I don't need it."

Walking into the auditorium, Jackson and I make our way to the bottom level just a few rows from the front of the stage.

Meredith and Derek sat just below us, as Bailey and Webber joined.

"Hey, guys," Webber said as he sat down.

"Hey, Richard."

"Excited to see what she's got planned?" He asked me.

"...Sure, we each have our plans, I know my mines better, but I'm family...I'm here to support."

"Good for you."

Sitting down with everyone else coming in, the lights above us dimmed and the screen was lit up with the Hospital sign.

"Let's see what she's got," Jackson whispered.

"Life will out," Amelia says as she looks down at all of us.

"The origins and lessons of life and evolution are long and complex. But what they basically boil down to is, life will out."

Glancing around the room, she starts to quietly walk around the stage catching the eyes of the people flowing in.

"Life will always find a way to continue. Always." Pressing the clicker on her hand she changes the slide behind her.

"This is a massive grade IV astrocytoma. I want you to take a look at it. Really look."

Turning over her shoulder she looks at the EEG of a brain with a red gleaming light in the middle of the right and left hemisphere.

"Look at its size. Look at the way it invades healthy tissue. Look at its vasculature. It is blood and tissue and flesh. It's growing..." She says changing the screen again.

"...Adapting to its environment, struggling to survive, to stay alive. It is alive. We don't like to think of it that way, but it's nestled in the womb of the human brain. Feeding on its host, growing and fighting for life....almost like a fetus."

"Did she just-"

"Yeah..." Jackson whispers as we both look at each other and chuckle.

"No, scratch that. Let's just for science and giggles say exactly like a fetus. Because like a healthy fetus, it is thriving. You know, there are even some types fo tumors that grow teeth, hair...stray eye."

Hearing the vomiting noises from the residents around us, all of the attendings laugh and giggle.

"Have I repulsed you?" Amelia jokes.

"It's gross, right? I mean, that is a problem. Nobody wants something that nasty in their head. I'd like you for one moment to consider the idea, that, to the tumor, we are the problem. We are the invader."

Seeing Derek's head turn around to face me, he signals me to get closer.

"She sounds a lot like you." He whispered.