The Cost Of Two Lives

Sitting outside of the lawyer's office, my mother strides up and down the room while Jackson and Catherine sit beside me.

"How could you?" She hissed at me.

"I had too? I had no other choice, he's worked with the Avery Foundation for years, mom?"

"You could have at least told me earlier, Elena?"

"Sorry, am I interrupting something?" Owen said as he held onto Theo's hands.

"No, you're just in time," I said as I stood up from my chair.

"Uncle Owen took me to the bookstore and bought me some comics."

"Really? You didn't have to do that?" I asked.

"I did, he's been eyeing those comics for days. I figured, why not but them now."

"Thank you."

Hearing the door open behind us, a female assistant walks out.

"Mr. Thomas expecting you, now." She said.

Glancing at her up and down, her skirt was a lot smaller than the usual 'Female assistant stereotype'.

"We'll be right there."

Grabbing my bag, I say goodbye to Owen, and walk inside the office.

"Catherine, Jackson, how are you?" My father said as he stood up from behind his desk.

"Good Leo, how are you?"

"Good, my wife and I we're just planning our spring vacation."

"You're going on vacation?" I asked as I walked in right after the both of them.

"Elena? I didn't expect you here? Why is she-"

"Jackson and Elena are having a baby together." My mother said.

"Carolyn..."

"Hello, Leo."

Standing beside my mother, I bend down slowly and whisper to Theo.

"Why don't you go and sit on the couch over there, and color in those comics, huh?"

"Okay, do you have the crayons?"

Digging into my bag, I pull out a box of crayons and from pencils.

"You look good?" My father said.

"Okay, enough with the small talk. We have bigger problems." I blurted out, helping everyone in the room not feel miserable.

"Right, where are the files?" He asked.

Grabbing them from Catherine, he walks back over to his desk and sits down.

"Please, have a seat."

Sitting down beside Jackson, in front of the desk. My mother and Catherine sit near the windows and just watch.

"Okay, well...it seems like she's pressing the restraining order because of what happened to Samuel? Who's Samuel?" He asked.

"My son-...our, dead son. He passed away a few minutes after he was born." Jackson said as he crossed his legs.

"And you were?"

"Their doctor? But this happened almost two years ago? Why is she pressing charges because of her son?"

"These charges are actually for Jackson. Who divorced her a year after the loss of your son, and then not long after you're having another child with my-, with Elena." He blurted out.