Girl

Oaks POV

Over the past few months, Spindle has been acting, different. One of the  first things I noticed is when he started growing his hair out. He never had really short hair, but he grew his hair past his shoulders. I didn't question him much though, I know lots of boys that grow their hair out.

Then, I started to see him wear makeup. Most of the girls in our grade didn't wear makeup, but Spindle always came with eyeshadow and lipgloss on. I asked him about it, and he said "it makes me feel better about myself." I still didn't question him, if he feels good about himself, then that's what matters.

But then something else started to happen. When Spindle and I went out together, I noticed people mistake him as a girl. People said things like "have a nice day ladies", or "excuse me girls". But the thing is that Spindle never cared. At all. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it almost made him feel happy. But he never talked to me about it, and I never talked to him about it.

Today at school, we had the lesson that evryone was either exited about or dreading: the puberty talk. I kinda felt indifferent. The teacher asked for the boys to go in one room, and the girls to go in another. I went to the room with the girls and we did the lesson.

After the lesson was over, it was time for lunch. I meet up with Spindle and we went to our usual table. After I got my lunch, I noticed Spindle was looking a little down. Spindle is usually a really energetic person, so I started to get worried.

"Hey Spindle." He looked up at me. "Is everything alright, you seem to be looking a little down."

"Oak, I'm fine."

"No you're not. I've known you for years, Spindle, and I know that you're not fine." Spindle was silent for a bit. "You know Spindle, you know you can tell me anything. That's what friends are for, right?" He stayed silent for a bit more, until he finally spoke.

"Oak, do you think we could talk at your place. After school. Alone."

"Of course Spindle."

The rest of the school day passed, and Spindle and I walked over to my house. We went into my room, and both sat on my bed.

"So Spindle, what is it that you wanted to tell me." He stayed silent for a bit, and then started to cry. He pulled me in for a hug, and we stayed there for a good minute for two. "It's okay Spindle." He let go of me, and finally started to speak.

"Oak?"

"Yes Spindle?" He looked at me in the eyes.

"The lesson."

"What about the lesson?"

"The puberty lesson. When we did.. the puberty lesson, the teacher said all these things that were gonna happen to us. He said... th-that, our voices were gonna deepen, we were gonna start getting all hairy, and all this other stuff a-and..." He stayed silent for a bit.

"You can tell me Spindle, I'm listening."

"I DONT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME, OKAY! I don't want to have a deep voice, I don't want to have to be all hairy. I don't want any of that shit. I..." he started to calm down. "I want to be like you, Oak. I want to be all pretty, I want to wear makeup, I want to wear dresses, just like all the girls do."

I looked over at Spindle, tears in his eyes. I went over and gave him a hug. Then, I asked him something. It was something that I never asked him about, since I didn't want to invade his privacy, but with everything that's been over the past few months, I decided to go for it.

"Spindle, I don't mean to sound rude at all, and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but...by any chance...are you transgender?" He looked over at me.

"You know Oak, that's something I've been asking myself recently. Since I was little, I always wanted to play with "girl toys", and be the princess at our tea party's. I never thought anything of it as far as gender, since, well, I was young back then, I didn't know I had any other options. But, one evening after dance class, I went out to dinner with my moms and my brothers. I got up to use the bathroom, when I accidentally bump into some lady. She said "Opps, sorry miss", obviously thinking I was a girl." He paused for a bit, the continued.

"When that Lady said that, it made me feel good, like something had been missing my entire life. Then, as I started to dress more feminine these past few months, more people viewed me as a girl. The reason I was never bothered by it...is because I liked being referred to as a girl. It makes me feel good inside." He started to smile through his tears.

"I only learned what being transgender was around a year ago, I forget how, probably online somewhere. I kinda brushed it off, not thinking about it often. However, it's becoming clear to me that...Oak...I never wanted to be a girl. I am one, and always was one. I tried to deny it for a while, telling myself that it would go away, but it never did, and probably never will. The puberty lesson today really made me feel so disconnected from masculinity, and it just didn't feel right to be referred to as a boy." Spindle then looked at me dead in the eye.

"Oak, to answer your question...I've now realized that...yes...I am transgender."

I didn't know what to do except pull Soundle in for a hug.

"Spindle, I'm so glad that you came out to me! That must have been so hard for you!"

"Well, it's not like I can keep denying that I'm a girl forever. Thanks for asking me that question Oak, someone needed to let me accept myself for who I am." The two of us smiled for a bit.

"Spindle, wait, should I even call you that?"

"My name has never been an issue for me actually. I always like to imagine a dance competition announcer say 'next up, from OCDA, Ms. Spindle Sharp!'. So yes, still call me Spindle."

"And I also want to ask, would you like to be referred to a different set of pronouns?" 

"She and her, please. You know what use it in me right now, I wanna know how it feels!"

"Okay. 'Look, it's my friend Spindle! She always does amazing with her solos." Spindle looked at me, with a smile on her face.

"Yup, those are the ones. Ah, it feels so nice to be out to you now!"

"Well, it's amazing to see you so happy!" Spindle smiled at me some more. "Hey Spindle, do you know when you're gonna come out or anyone else? Like your parents, the dance team, school, and other people?"

"Oh gosh, I haven't even began to think about that. But, for now, want to keep this...something just between you and me. I tell them when I feel that the time is right."

"That's okay, Spindle. Besides, I know you're parents are gonna support you! But whatever happens, just know that I'll always be here for you no matter what happens, okay?"

"Okay. And thank you so much for listening, it means a lot!"

"Spindle, of course." Spindle then got a text from her mom.

"Well, looks like I have to go now. See you tommorow Oak!"

"See ya Spindle!" I'm so happy that Spindle was able to come out to me, and I hope that everything goes well for her in the future.
...............................................................

Man, have I been wanting to write that chapter forever! I didn't plan too much out for this book when I first wrote it, but I knew that Spindle was trans before she was even born! I don't know how many of you picked it up, especially before the last chapter, but good for you if you did! I hope this chapter came out good, and I'll see you in the next chapter!

- Sunny