saturn

"How rare and beautiful it is to even exist"

*          *          *

May 12, 2015 (1 month after the crash)

   The sounds of owls and crickets filled the air, attempting to drown out the sounds of cries and screams. Blood stains the ground, leaves and twigs mixing in with the thick crimson pool. Smoke clouds the air, wanting to attack and choke anyone within reach. The sky was a pitch black, not a star in sight. It was as if the world was caving in. Blood splattering the black sky. A large plane falling from the sky. Screams of pure agony filling the air.

   Torment, torture, pain, grief, death, loss, agony, destruction, fear, starvation, thirst, insomnia, blood, crash, fire, smoke, injury, suffocating, suffocating, suffocating, SUFFOCATING, SUFFOCATING, SUFFOCATING!

   Bella woke up, a loud scream tearing through her throat. She couldn't stop herself, the screams continued to pour out. Her hands flew to her face, reminding herself that she was still alive. She blinked rapidly, sweat drenching her clothes and trickling down her forehead. She continued to scream, even though she was willing herself to stop.

   The door burst open, light flooding into the room as Spencer rushed in. He reached out, gently grabbing Bella as she flinched and pushed his hands away.

   "It's just me, it's just me!" Spencer said as Bella continued to scream.

   She continued to push his hands away, fear controlling her entire body. Spencer gently took her by the side of the face, holding her face steady and forcing her to look at him. Bella struggled before letting her eyes rest on his, melting into the delicate hazel.

   "It's me, Bells," Spencer whispered. "It's me."

   Bella's bottom lip quivered, "I'm sorry."

   "Shhh, you're ok."

   He wrapped his arms around her, letting her bury her face into his shoulder. He rubbed her back, running his fingers through her hair before kissing her softly on her cheek. His rough scruff rubbed up against the side of Bella's face as she fought back tears, latching onto her husband.

   "I'm sorry," Bella continued to repeat. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

   "Bells, it's ok," Spencer whispered. "You don't have to apologize. I--I understand."

   "I just keep dreaming about it. It won't go away."

   "I know."

   Bella pulled away from the hug, cupping Spencer's cheek and furrowing her eyebrows. She studied his sad face and the dark bags underneath his eyes.

   "Have you been sleeping at all?" she asked, her voice low.

   "A--a little," Spencer lied.

   "You smell like coffee, you haven't been sleeping."