slipping through my fingers

"Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture"

*           *           *

   Derek bounced Emma on his hip, twirling her around as he put a bright pink birthday hat on her. Emma giggled and buried her face in his chest. Bella smiled, walking up to them and widening her eyes while she held her arms out to Emma.

   "Hey there, pretty girl!" Bella smiled.

   "Mama," Emma reached out, Bella scooping her from Derek's arms. 

   "She's a big girl now, Dimples," Derek grinned. "She's a whole year old now, how does it feel?"

   "Surreal," Bella answered. "It feels like I was just in that motel room giving birth, what a great experience."

   Derek laughed before turning around and gasping. Savannah carried Hank over, the baby barely able to keep his eyes open. Derek smiled, taking Hank in his arms as he rocked him gently. 

   "He's getting big too," Bella said.

   "Tell me about it," Savannah sighed. "Time flies."

   "It sure does."

   Bella looked over at Emma, smiling at her as she looked around the room in awe. Pink balloons and streamers decorated Bella and Spencer's house, the smell of vanilla cake and pizza filling the air. Everyone gathered around, talking and laughing with bright smiles on their faces. A pile of gifts sat in the corner, desperately begging to be opened. 

   "Dada!" Emma smiled, reaching her arms out as Spencer approached her and Bella.

   "Hey, pumpkin!" Spencer exclaimed. "Happy birthday, baby, you're growing too fast."

   "I remember when you were that age," Diana whispered from behind Spencer, grinning at her granddaughter. "You loved your toy trains. Does she like toy trains?"

   "She prefers her stuffed giraffe and her princess crown."

   "Princess crown? Of course, she has a princess crown. She is a little princess. You spoil her rotten, Spencer." 

   "I don't spoil her," Spencer mumbled, avoiding eye contact with the pile of gifts he bought for her. 

   Diana grinned and sat down, rubbing her forehead as she glanced around the room. She kept to herself, not wanting to talk to anyone who wasn't Spencer or Bella. Bella eyed her, slowly approaching her with a comforting smile.

   "Hi," Bella grinned. "Can I get you anything, Diana? Something to eat? Maybe some water?"

   "I'm fine," Diana said. "Thank you."

   "Of course, just let me know if you need anything." 

   Diana nodded, going back to her deep thoughts as she continued to look around the room. Spencer kept his eye on her while still tending to Emma.