washing machine heart

"I know who you pretend I am"

*           *           *

   Stepping inside the prison gave Bella crude flashbacks. The dull interior, the guards with permanent frowns, and the sleazy inmates that weren't afraid to make nasty comments or stare for too long. 

   Bella ran her fingers through her hair and adjusted her outfit. She made sure not to wear any makeup, she knew that she would only cry it all off anyway. Her heart felt like it weighed a million pounds as she approached the small desk with a small barrier that separated her from Spencer. 

   He had now been in there for almost a month now, and he still had 3 months to go until they could even see trial. It killed Bella every single day to wake up alone. The bed was cold. It was empty. She would have dreams about Spencer being there, only to wake up and realize that it was all just her brain. 

   She sat down with a sniffle, hiding her eyes until she heard the door open. Glancing up, she felt as if she had been punched in the gut. Spencer walked out, his eyes tired and full of misery. He wore the prison-issued pants and top, his hair beginning to grow even longer. 

   "Bella," Spencer smiled, wishing he could reach out and touch her. "Hi, honey."

   "Spence," Bella whispered, trying not to cry. "You...are you eating enough? Sleeping enough?"

   "Yes," Spencer lied. "I--it's so good to see you."

   "I've missed your face. I miss everything about you, Spence. I miss your touch. I miss waking up next to you. I-I miss you so much."

   "I miss you too, Bells. I think about you day and night. I think about Emma day and night. How is she?"

   "She's really good. I've been slowly weaning her off of the pacifier and she's been really good about it. She--her vocabulary is expanding. She's brilliant, Spencer. She is absolutely brilliant."

   "Of course she is," Spencer chuckled, tears glistening in his eyes. 

   Bella reached into her pocket, digging out a photo she had recently taken of Emma. She held it up to show Spencer, a tear falling out of his eye as he stared at the photo. 

   "She's getting more hair," he smiled. "It's still so curly." 

   "Yeah," Bella nodded. "She looks more and more like you every single day. I love it because when you're not there I can just...look into her eyes. It's like looking into yours."

   Spencer's bottom lip quivered, "Are you reading to her?"

   "Mhm, and playing her classical music. She's going to be very creative when she gets older, I can feel it." 

   "Of course, she will. She'll write an entire musical and cure cancer all before the age of 20."

   Bella chuckled, "She will."