welcome home, son

"Heal the scars from off my back"

*                   *                  *

   "Where is he?" Spencer spit, anger rising to his face as he threw open the door to Emily's office.

   "Reid, he showed up unexpectedly," Emily said, standing up from her desk as she sighed. "He seemed distraught and he...he was asking for you."

   "Asking for me," Spencer scoffed. "It's been over a decade since I last saw him and he has the audacity to come here."

   "I'm sorry, Reid. I know how difficult this must be for you."

   "It's extremely difficult, Emily. I've made it a point to try to keep this man out of my life. Now...he's here."

   Emily frowned, "Do you want to see him?"

   "I want to punch him in the face."

   "Well...I can't let you do that."

   Spencer let out a frustrated sigh and rubbed his hands over his face. He ran his fingers through his thick hair before looking back up at Emily.

   "I'll talk to him," Spencer said with a nod. "I have to."

   "You don't have to," Emily responded. "I completely understand if you want to turn around and pretend that this never happened."

   "No, I have to. I'm sick of letting this man control every aspect of who I am. I'm sick of having him constantly stuck in the back of my head. Why is he even here?"

   "All he told me was that it was an emergency and he had to talk to you."

   "That's all?"

   "That's everything."

   Spencer pressed his lips together as his mind went over every option that he currently possessed. With a frustrated sigh, Spencer turned on his heel and left Emily's office. He tried to contain all the rage in his body as he made his way towards the large door that stood between himself and the very man that ruined his life.

   Approaching the door, Spencer let out a huff and gripped the doorknob tightly. He closed his eyes, pressing back any visible emotion. He opened his eyes and opened the door swiftly before shutting it behind him loudly.

   Raising his eyes up, Spencer caught his breath as the familiar man looked up to meet his eyes. He was skinny and greying, wrinkles covering his face and body as he offered Spencer a weak smile. 

   "Hi, Spencer," he pushed out, his voice soft.

   "Dad," Spencer said, the word stinging as it exited his mouth.

   "It's so good to see you, Spencer."

   "What are you doing here?"

   "I'm your father, Spencer. I can't come see you?"