the end of the world

"Why do these eyes of mine cry?"

*                  *                   *

Spencer dragged his feet as he walked up to the door of the small apartment he had been a prisoner in for over a week. He let out a yawn, his eyes tired. In fact, his entire body was tired. His mind was tired, which was highly unusual for him.

Hearing everything that Bella found out made him feel like he could pass out at any second. It felt as if his life was a constant plot twist. Shawn was still on the loose and he was closer to Bella than they both had thought.

All Spencer wanted to do was make dinner and watch a movie with the girls, it's what they all deserved. Both girls had been highly confused ever since Bella was put into protective custody. Neither of them understood where she was. Neither of them knew if she was coming back or not.

Spencer approached the door, looking around for the guards that were typically outside. He furrowed his eyebrows upon discovering that none were waiting for his arrival. The protocol was to knock before entering, announcing himself so the guard watching the girls knew who was entering. In this instance, Spencer felt all the logical rules leave his body as dread took over.

He ripped the keys out of his pocket, shoving them into the door and unlocking it as fast as he could. He threw open the door with a loud bang, drawing his gun immediately. As his eyes trailed down to the floor, the guard assigned to the girls lay bleeding from his head. A large bullet hole gushed out blood as Spencer's body began to tremble.

"Girls!" Spencer shouted, stepping over the guard's body as his shoes got soaked in the thick blood. "It's dada! Where are you!"

Silence followed his question as his heart began to race. He held his gun tightly, his eyes scanning the small apartment for any sudden movement. The silence in the air was deafening and he felt as if it was going to swallow him at any second. He pushed back fearful tears and made his way down the hall, coming face to face with his bedroom door. Grabbing the doorknob, he opened the door as quickly as possible and caught his breath.

"Dr. Reid!" Shawn exclaimed, holding a gun up to Spencer. "It's about time you got home!"

Shawn held a sleeping Emma in one arm while a sleeping Ophelia rested in his lap. The appalling man smiled, flashing off a pair of dimples that were similar to Bella's.

"Get away from them," Spencer ordered. "Do not touch them, you sick bastard."

"They're asleep, Dr. Reid, no need to worry," Shawn taunted, aiming at Spencer's chest. "These are my granddaughters, do you really think that I would try to hurt them?"

"You tried to hurt your own daughters, Shawn. Get your filthy hands off of them!"

"Shhhhh, they're sleeping."

Spencer's jaw clenched, "What did you give them?"

"Oh, just some Benadryl. They were out like a light!"