me and my husband

"And I am the idiot with the painted face"

*                *               *

   Spencer was quiet that morning as he got dressed. He didn't say a word to Bella as he slowly drank his coffee in the kitchen. He stared out the window and tapped his fingers on the kitchen counter. Bella watched him with steady eyes, keeping quiet as she got Emma ready for the day. 

   The entire car ride to work was awkward. Spencer turned on the radio, not even caring that one of his favorite songs was on. He bit the inside of his cheek as Bella stared out the window, crossing her arms against her waist.

   As they pulled into the parking lot, Bella frowned and looked over at Spencer. He put the car in park and opened his door before Bella reached out, softly grabbing his arm. He turned and looked at her, his eyes focused.

   "I don't want to be angry today," she whispered. "I don't want you to be mad at me."

   "I'm not mad at you, honey," Spencer whispered.

   He turned and got out of the car as Bella furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. She got out of the car as well, shutting the door as she looked over to see Spencer already walking towards the building. She sped up, attempting to catch up to him as she wobbled in her small heels.

   Entering the building, Spencer moved past other agents swiftly. He ignored the people who smiled and nodded at him, his eyes set straight forward as he got onto the elevator. Bella struggled to catch her breath as she joined him, looking at him in confusion as he stared straight ahead at the elevator doors.

   "Spence," Bella whispered. "Are you ok?"

   "Of course," Spencer mumbled as the elevator doors opened.

   The two doctors stepped off and made their way inside the bustling room of agents. Spencer looked around at their desks, noticing some members of the team concentrated on paperwork, before his eyes set on the conference room. He narrowed his eyes and began to make his way forward, pushing past other agents and squeezing past desks.

   "Hey, Bella!" Penelope exclaimed, a wide smile on her face as she hobbled over with a strawberry donut in her hand. "Did you get a donut?"

   "Someone brought donuts?" Bella asked.

   "Gus did! They're in the conference room!"

   Bella whipped her head around and watched as Spencer made his way to the conference room. Gus, Luke, JJ, and Matt stood inside, picking out donuts before indulging on them. Gus smiled and joked as Spencer pushed the door open.

   "Oh god," Bella whispered underneath her breath as she dashed towards the conference room.

   Gus looked up from the box of donuts and smiled at Spencer. He grabbed a napkin and a plate.